U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 02:42 PM

7,780 posts, read 13,613,765 times

Advertisements

I need to know what the best and easiest to use software for website design is.

I've been using Dreamweaver but it's an older version and it does not format so well for Firefox.

I'm an HTML know-nothing so I need the best WYSIWYG designer there is.

Any advice?

I also would not be opposed to finding a good editor that has templates available that I can plug my info into.

I'm in the Real Estate business and need a new and improved website.

Thanks for any help or info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 03:36 PM

82 posts, read 238,467 times
Of course, imo, Adobe Dreamweaver 8 is the best of the best. Sadly, it is 400.00 give or take to pick up the newest version.

web design software, HTML editor | Adobe Dreamweaver CS4

Doesn't have as many bells and whistles, but the cost to pick it up is a lot cheaper ($50.00). Still a good software, CoffeeCup 2006 should do what you need it to do.

CoffeeCup - HTML Editor, Flash & Web Design Software

If you are looking for a free software, Nvu 1.0, is most likely the best of the best when it comes to free webdesign. It does support CSS and Javascripts.

Nvu - Download

Hope that helps

Old 10-09-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualevo View Post
Of course, imo, Adobe Dreamweaver 8 is the best of the best. Sadly, it is 400.00 give or take to pick up the newest version.

web design software, HTML editor | Adobe Dreamweaver CS4

Doesn't have as many bells and whistles, but the cost to pick it up is a lot cheaper ($50.00). Still a good software, CoffeeCup 2006 should do what you need it to do.

CoffeeCup - HTML Editor, Flash & Web Design Software

If you are looking for a free software, Nvu 1.0, is most likely the best of the best when it comes to free webdesign. It does support CSS and Javascripts.

Nvu - Download

Hope that helps
No, I'm not looking for free software.

What's the learning curve on DW8? Can I use it effectively out of the box without a lot of HTML knowledge?

Old 10-09-2008, 06:08 PM

1,597 posts, read 1,689,307 times
Alpha, for what it's worth, learning HTML is really pretty easy. Once you learn the basic tags, there's nothing to it. And I doubt you're that computer illiterate.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:22 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,075,778 times
If you run FireFox, there are a lot of good addons for it. I use BBCodeXtra, myself, but I'd like to try some of the others to see what they're like. You wouldn't need such a program on this board, but it's very helpful on others. You can use it for BBCode, HTML, and XHTML.

I've been writing stuff for my site, off and on, for the last few weeks. I can hit a button and then create the code and hit the button again, and there are the links. The little addon I mentioned is semi-intuitive, but I think you can catch on after playing with it awhile.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
If you run FireFox, there are a lot of good addons for it. I use BBCodeXtra, myself, but I'd like to try some of the others to see what they're like. You wouldn't need such a program on this board, but it's very helpful on others. You can use it for BBCode, HTML, and XHTML.

I've been writing stuff for my site, off and on, for the last few weeks. I can hit a button and then create the code and hit the button again, and there are the links. The little addon I mentioned is semi-intuitive, but I think you can catch on after playing with it awhile.
I'm asking about a program that I could use to re-do my site that will do a good job of covering me whether a viewer was using IE or FF.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
Alpha, for what it's worth, learning HTML is really pretty easy. Once you learn the basic tags, there's nothing to it. And I doubt you're that computer illiterate.
Well there's no way I could learn it enough to be able to adequately create a professional looking website.

Mine now is OK, not as cheesy as many self-made sites I've seen.....but it hasn't been improved upon in a long time and it's time for a fresh look.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:46 PM

82 posts, read 238,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
No, I'm not looking for free software.

What's the learning curve on DW8? Can I use it effectively out of the box without a lot of HTML knowledge?
The neat thing about most of the programs out there is that they have a lot of hotkeys. The GUI for it is pretty nicely done.

So to answer your question... The learning curve is a small curve compared to learning about a lot of other softwares out there. IE A Database like Oracle. There are also a lot of tutorials out there on the web to help you along as well.

If money isn't an issue in your purchase, pick up dreamweaver. It is top notch and you won't regret it.

On a side note:
If you ever get stumped or need some ideas/suggestions hit me up with a private message. I've done my share of websites

Old 10-11-2008, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualevo View Post
The neat thing about most of the programs out there is that they have a lot of hotkeys. The GUI for it is pretty nicely done.

So to answer your question... The learning curve is a small curve compared to learning about a lot of other softwares out there. IE A Database like Oracle. There are also a lot of tutorials out there on the web to help you along as well.

If money isn't an issue in your purchase, pick up dreamweaver. It is top notch and you won't regret it.

On a side note:
If you ever get stumped or need some ideas/suggestions hit me up with a private message. I've done my share of websites
Thanks, I'm seriously considering your suggestion. I've been very pleased with the version of DW that I have been using so I might just drop the cash for 8.

Do you know if there's templates out there that are available for DW so I can get rolling a little quicker?

With the site I've got now, one of the things that slowed me down was that I designed all my own graphics and buttons. It was very time consuming and something I really don't have in my schedule this time around.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:05 AM

10,752 posts, read 18,001,409 times
Just a note, no matter which software you use, your going to need to know some HTML, and your going to need to tweak the code on something you created once in a while if your going to be concerned with cross browser compatibility, thats just the way it is. I always moan when a new browser comes out as it just adds to the testing I have to do. Right now I test my 12 or so sites with IE6, IE7, Firefox, Safari on a MAc, and Safari for Windows (yes, they can render code differently).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet