U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2008, 10:34 AM

3,627 posts, read 12,990,186 times

Advertisements

Getting ready to add new service to a home
Will have three computers and one internet phone.

There are speed options of 5, 10 and 16 MbPS - how do I know which one to select?

I do know on my current 5MbPS service if I am running the intenet phone simultaneoiusly with netmeeting and another computer is running I can have issues.

I am going to be supplying a modem and router but how do I make sure the Signal quality is good coming into the house - what should I do with the cable company to do that; the house is already wired with cable outlets in almost every room. I know they won't be supporting my equipment but I just want to be sure that what is coming out of the wall does not have issues
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 04:42 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,075,778 times
I'd very much like to have that kind of speed for my own computer! Whatever you choose, I'd want it verified that the speed they say you'll get is the speed you got.

I was thinking you might try the 10 mb/s and see how that works. If I were doing this, I'd talk to them ahead of time, to let them know you aren't sure what speed you need, so hopefully they won't charge you for changing it again. I personally don't know why it would have to be one of those three, and not something in between, but I don't know much about that business.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:50 PM

1,189 posts, read 3,644,701 times
After you talk to the company and tell them what you want they send a technician to come out to do whatever majick they do in those mysterious boxes. I seriously don't know what they do; they probably just plug you into the neighborhood switch and charge you like 50 bucks.
As far as I know they (are supposed to) make sure you are getting good signal strength before they drop and run.

Personally, I would kill to have 16MB connection, but like Brian said 10 is probably enough.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:46 PM

3,627 posts, read 12,990,186 times
I know that what they say is not necessarily exactly what you GET when you test the speed but I am going to ask if they guarantee that speed. 10MbPS is $5 a month extra - does not sound so bad then - I can start there.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:20 PM

1,597 posts, read 1,689,307 times
Just a quick FYI....the last time my cable rep came out to set me up with digital phone service, he told me specifically that there is NO guarantee that the advertised internet speed is what you will get. That's simply the maximum speed CAPABLE with your particular service. It doesn't always mean you will get that speed, and with cable broadband it's virtually impossible to get a consistent speed anyway because so many others share the same pipeline.

If you want my opinion, go with the 10MbPS. The 5MbPS will probably disappoint you, but the faster one is probably not worth it for all the more the average person wants to do.

Ask the tech to do a signal strength test. Usually with cable it's not an issue. It's DSL that is more susceptible to noise on the line. You can always do an internet speed test online if you want. Try Speedtest.net. I've found it to be the most accurate. And you also have to keep in mind your internet speed is going to vary due to the number of hops it takes to get from your computer to the host server. You can Google how to do a ping test to see how many hops it takes. The more hops, the slower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or