U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2008, 04:27 PM

3,627 posts, read 12,990,186 times

Advertisements

Looking at the Belkin Belkin F5D8233 Wireless N - general reviews look good - any insights here.

I need VPN passthrough and at least 2 LAN ports and some of the Linksys routers do not have VPN. Now this is Wireless N, but my laptop is only up to Wireless G. I can get wireless G adapters for $25 for my other two computers and $40 or so for wireless N but thinking I may as well get wireless N.

Now, my transmission will all be at wireless G speeds but when I get a new laptop [my work laptop probably in a year or two] it will probably be up to wireless N [the installed card] and I could use that on all the computers...................

So I am thinking N would not be a bad way to go even though I cannot take advantage of it now. Am I thinking right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 05:47 PM

3,627 posts, read 12,990,186 times
Ok, I dug further the spec sheet I was looking at for the Linksys did not have VPN passthrough and I know some of their routers do not.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:08 PM

267 posts, read 1,180,540 times
Default Belkin routers do not like coexisting with wireless mice

In the last 30 days I bought two Belkin N-routers. I took one of them back to the store to get my money back and soon I'll be taking the other one back to Costco.

I like wireless hardware. I have a wireless mouse. The Belkin router freezes the cursor on an intermittant basis, which makes it a little like a virus in that you can't use your computer! If you can't move the cursor, you can't use the computer.

So if you're hard at work on the computer sailing right along on a project, and all of a sudden your cursor locks up, you'll get very frustrated. Time is money and money is time....

The Belkin user guide offers no solution for this problem, nor do they even address the issue. Forget Belkin if you like using a wireless mouse.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:19 PM

1,189 posts, read 3,644,701 times
I don't know about that particular router, but I've enjoyed my WRT54G.

Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router WRT54GL Wireless router - EN, Fast EN, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g

Wireless router, 4 ports + 1 uplink port.

Out of the box it just has the basics, but if you flash it with DD-WRT :: News then it does pretty much anything you would ever need. VLAN, VPN passthrough, etc...

I flashed mine years ago and haven't bothered to look at their new versions so I'm not sure what all has changed. I know their website has changed considerably.

There are a couple other free firmwares out there you can use but I haven't really felt the need to try the other ones out.

I'm always behind the times on wireless...I like to stick with what works. I don't transfer tons of data internally so I'm not worried about getting 802.11n. What I am concerned about is coverage and supposedly 802.11n isn't as good in that area.

Last edited by J Arp; 02-03-2009 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: stuff

Old 02-03-2009, 04:43 PM

10,752 posts, read 18,001,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post
I don't know about that particular router, but I've enjoyed my WRT54G.

Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router WRT54GL Wireless router - EN, Fast EN, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g

Wireless router, 4 ports + 1 uplink port.

Out of the box it just has the basics, but if you flash it with DD-WRT :: News then it does pretty much anything you would ever need. VLAN, VPN passthrough, etc...

I flashed mine years ago and haven't bothered to look at their new versions so I'm not sure what all has changed. I know their website has changed considerably.

There are a couple other free firmwares out there you can use but I haven't really felt the need to try the other ones out.

I'm always behind the times on wireless...I like to stick with what works. I don't transfer tons of data internally so I'm not worried about getting 802.11n. What I am concerned about is coverage and supposedly 802.11n isn't as good in that area.
Ya beat me to it, best setup I've had by far.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:17 PM

28,607 posts, read 40,588,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotornot View Post
In the last 30 days I bought two Belkin N-routers. I took one of them back to the store to get my money back and soon I'll be taking the other one back to Costco.

I like wireless hardware. I have a wireless mouse. The Belkin router freezes the cursor on an intermittant basis, which makes it a little like a virus in that you can't use your computer! If you can't move the cursor, you can't use the computer.

So if you're hard at work on the computer sailing right along on a project, and all of a sudden your cursor locks up, you'll get very frustrated. Time is money and money is time....

The Belkin user guide offers no solution for this problem, nor do they even address the issue. Forget Belkin if you like using a wireless mouse.
Stop placing the wireless receiver for the mouse on top of the router!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet