U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2008, 08:40 AM

3,627 posts, read 13,057,764 times

Advertisements

I know N is the new standard but my laptop is "G" but I assume a router can outlast a laptop. On the converse routers are not that expensive to replace.

In terms of "G" performance - need optimal reliability, range, speed, VPN pass through, ease of install, etc. Am I better to go with a tried and true wireless G router or go with a newer wireless N that is backwards compatible with G? TYpically 2 computers in use at a given time, sometimes 3.

The router would go on the first floor of a two-story 3200 SF home and need to provide covereage to both floors as well as the deck. Most of our IT people use netgear routers, but the ratings seem kind of low. I know there are a ton of linksys routers out there so they are very popular but I am not clear which of all the many variants to use. My company still uses Win 2000 [eeeek]

I have read reviews until I am blue in the face. I have settled on a modem [motorola surfboard] but the range of routers and how do I know I get a more current build etc. is mindboggling.

Any help would be appreciated. Not clear whether Linksys WRT54GL or GS would be the better wireless G [or other one?]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 10:20 AM

1,189 posts, read 3,656,532 times
I would get the WRT54GL. It has more RAM and flash memory and is easily re-flashed with different firmware to get the most out of your router. The third party firmware gives you a ton more options and stuff I don't even use like VLANs. I flashed my linksys router and it is more reliable than my actual internet service.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:21 PM

Well that one does seem to be an old standby ................. I don't know anything about flashing my router unless that is when I am working in my jammies. I have no special plans for it other than being able to work in different places in my home.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:50 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,830,029 times
grannynancy - you and I are in the same area I believe. I have the WRT54G and have no problem with performance. I have the same square footage as you do and have the router on the first floor (under the stairwell) which supports as much as 5 PCs...3 laptops (1 running on VPN from work) and 2 desktops. We did upgrade to the medium option with Comporium for faster speed. I bring my laptop to the porch and is not a problem.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:02 PM

Wonderful - I am moving to Simponville so I will have Charter instead of Comporium* but am upgrading as well to the faster speed option. Glad to hear this. Well, it is on order now! Gotta love telecommuting.

*I have heard the signal quality with Charter is very good but the service not so good - with comporium great service but I do have some signal jitter but few dropped packets. Mainly, sometimes VOIP is compromised. Can't complain on the speed - just tested download speed of 4.4Megs on a 5 Meg service with 3 computers running.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:06 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,031,315 times
granny,

You can set up a QoS in those Linksys routers you mentioned (I believe) to give VoIP traffic priority.

Wireless N does have larger signal penetration than wireless G, but a G router should have no problem covering that distance with ease. Just don't do VoIP via wireless, please.

That speed isn't bad, and you should be able to pass VoIP traffic over it, the questions are: jitter and packet loss.

Jitter is when packets aren't being received at the same consistent speed they're being sent, and packet loss is simple enough, its when they don't get there at all. There are iPerf tests you can run, that will test the connection for just that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet