Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2008, 11:29 AM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times

Advertisements

I used to regularly sell things on eBay but stopped back around 2002. I plan on getting back into it. My question is I'am wondering if there were better ways to post pics for my eBay items nowdays?

I used to take pictures of my items with my camcorder(analog)and then use a video capture device called a Snappy to transfer the image to my computer. Then from there I'd send the image to my WsFTP program and from there to my webspace then to eBay. Is their a better way of doing this that someone could recommend? Just curious to find out whats changed with this process since 2002.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 11:59 AM

82 posts, read 259,728 times
When I sell on ebay I just use a digital camera, upload them (usb cable) to my PC and then upload them to villagephotos.com. They have a free service and are basically set up just for Ebay. You can use the hosting for other websites/forums etc but their target is Ebay Sellers.

Thumbnails etc are availible. Pretty nice service and if your auctions are short ones you would never need to upgrade your account to a paid one which would give you more space.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:29 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times
I think it'd be way easier on you if you could get a digital camera.

I use ebay's picture service if I'm only selling a few things. I find the ease is worth the cost. You get one free and the rest are, I think, 10 cents a piece.

If I'm planning on selling more than a few things I'd use my own photo hosting, something like photobucket or even myspace for storing my pics. Depends on how many photos you'll need access to though. I used to use an FTP thing to upload my pics to my webspace back when I was selling a LOT of stuff and had from 5 to 10 pics for each auction item.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:04 PM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times
If I buy a digital camera will I still need to use the WsFTP program to move the picture files to my webspace? What type of digital camera is better for computer use?

I found out that the Snappy video capture device I have only works for Windows 95 which is what my last computer used when I was selling on eBay. I have XP on my current computer. I tried installing my old WsFTP disc on my computer and nothing happened. I wonder if it's not compatible with WinXP? My WsFTP disc came out in 1999.

Last edited by Motion; 10-18-2008 at 10:24 PM..

Old 10-20-2008, 04:44 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
If I buy a digital camera will I still need to use the WsFTP program to move the picture files to my webspace? What type of digital camera is better for computer use?

I found out that the Snappy video capture device I have only works for Windows 95 which is what my last computer used when I was selling on eBay. I have XP on my current computer. I tried installing my old WsFTP disc on my computer and nothing happened. I wonder if it's not compatible with WinXP? My WsFTP disc came out in 1999.
Yes. You need a file transfer application to move the pictures across to your website (Unless you're running your website on your local computer). I would think in this day and age - any digital camera will work with a computer. And just about all operating systems have utilities that will import the pictures to a folder/directory of your choice. From there, you'd just use a file transfer app from your computer to your website (not to confuse you, but I guess technically you can do it directly from your camera to your website if the camera can be seen as a external drive - but the transfer app is still necessary).

There are a TON of free FTP programs out there - I personally use WinSCP. If your ISP handles secure file transfers, you might as well use it. I know we're not talking about sensitive info here... but using FTP vs. Secure FTP is virtually transparent to the user - so why not? And what you're really protecting is your authentication info. FTP sends that in the clear....

Old 10-20-2008, 09:28 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post

In theory, your Snappy should work under XP. There is a compatibility option in XP that allows programs to live in an earlier OS environment. However, the Snappy does use the parallel port, and you may also need to go into the BIOS to change the way the port is set up.

The Snappy was (and is) a clever device the way it can merge and clean a number of NSTC frames into a higher resolution image. I've used it for image capture off old videos many times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet