U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2008, 12:40 PM

4,046 posts, read 5,405,334 times

Advertisements

Looks like I had a worm in my Yahoo! mail; a spam message was sent without my knowing to everyone in my address book, and then my address book was erased. Is all that typical? At this point, I'm just wondering if there are more precautions I need to be taking. I do have anti-virus and anti-spy and ad-ware. But should I change my e-mail address? I'd rather not if it's not necessary, but I wanted to know what others do when this happens to them. Maybe I'm lucky that this is the first and only time this has happened to me (as far as I know).

Thanks in advice for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 08:23 PM

712 posts, read 1,963,174 times
I'm going to first off be honest and say.. I don't how it's possible for a worm or virus to target specifically a assumed HTML based email program called yahoo..

If your using say outlook or outlook express/windows mail this is different but if not.. then I think you’re just doing what a large percentage of the population do when it comes to "fear" and the computer.. and that's over-reacting..

There's no reason to change your email address unless you want too..

If you want the best anti-spyware/adware product out there that I can recommend.. that would be nod32 (not perfect but the best with a 80-90% effectiveness rate) if you want a freeware adware product that's actually decent.. I recommend "Malewarebytes"

I'll let someone else help you out now.. your question really speaks to someone who doesn't understand computers that well.. I might suggest reading some wiki's or educating yourself if this is a re-occurring problem for you..

Old 10-24-2008, 08:34 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,075,778 times
I think it is possible if a person clicks on a link in that email message which takes him away from Yahoo.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:39 PM

4,046 posts, read 5,405,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster View Post
....then I think you’re just doing what a large percentage of the population do when it comes to "fear" and the computer.. and that's over-reacting...
Well, that's good. It's really my parents who were concerned when I told them what happened. Not to say that I wasn't--I was starting this thread to be safe. But I tend to be pretty nonchalant about the computer, honestly.

Thanks for those software recommendations; I hadn't heard of either.

It has happened only once, so not a re-occurring problem. And now that I think back, I suspect that I'm the culprit, as Brian.Pearson speculated. I think I clicked on a link when someone sent the identical e-mail to me and that's how this happened to me. I guess that's pretty classic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet