U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 01:27 AM

42,663 posts, read 75,359,941 times

Advertisements

Latest on AVG---I just got infected with the virus that re-directs Google and Yahoo search engine hits to garbage sites. AVG did not detect it when it was coming in, and when it scans, it still doesn't detect it, although it is pretty obviously there. Apparently, that virus is almost impossible to get rid of. Anybody got a suggestion about what search engine is good, when Google and Yahoo are impossible to use?

(Before you ask, yes, I get corrupted search results from both IExplorer and Firefox, even if logged out of my accounts, at both Google and Yahoo search. I have rebooted, and I have cleared cache, and I have run scans from AVG and from spywareterminator.com, which found 13 infected items that AVG did not know I had. But the latter also did not find the infection from the virus corrupting the search hits.)

Last edited by jtur88; 11-15-2008 at 01:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 12:43 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,075,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Latest on AVG---I just got infected with the virus that re-directs Google and Yahoo search engine hits to garbage sites. AVG did not detect it when it was coming in, and when it scans, it still doesn't detect it, although it is pretty obviously there. Apparently, that virus is almost impossible to get rid of. Anybody got a suggestion about what search engine is good, when Google and Yahoo are impossible to use?

(Before you ask, yes, I get corrupted search results from both IExplorer and Firefox, even if logged out of my accounts, at both Google and Yahoo search. I have rebooted, and I have cleared cache, and I have run scans from AVG and from spywareterminator.com, which found 13 infected items that AVG did not know I had. But the latter also did not find the infection from the virus corrupting the search hits.)
Might try MalwareBytes. If that doesn't get it all, you might try HiJackThis. The latter (if you need it) is probably not something you want to work with on your own. Unless you do a lot of research, you need to go to a forum that handles HiJackThis logs, and who can help you to figure out what to take out as well as to give you other specific instructions.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:07 AM

25,691 posts, read 24,521,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I have AVG Free, and it has just informed that it detected a virus, and it is listed in the Virus Vault. What should I do? Will it, or did it disinfect this virus, or what?
I had the same thing happen today, the bottom of my screen keeps coming up with this pop-up thing that says 'Windows has detected a spyware infection.......use special spyware protection...Windows will now download updated anti-spyware for you....click here...'
Im debating if I should 'click here' or take it into a shop and let them clean up whatever is there?
Or, I hear 'Hijack This' is really good, maybe will try to install that tomorrow?

Old 11-17-2008, 06:55 AM

4,243 posts, read 12,762,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
I had the same thing happen today, the bottom of my screen keeps coming up with this pop-up thing that says 'Windows has detected a spyware infection.......use special spyware protection...Windows will now download updated anti-spyware for you....click here...'
Im debating if I should 'click here' or take it into a shop and let them clean up whatever is there?
Or, I hear 'Hijack This' is really good, maybe will try to install that tomorrow?
DO NOT CLICK! If it's the same as what we once encountered, we did click (stupidly) thinking it was legit which it was not. Instead, we ended up with a very messed up computer.

Do a Google search for this popup to find the steps to get rid of it (I'd search for you and give you a link, but I don't know your specifics.)

Old 11-17-2008, 07:57 AM

25,691 posts, read 24,521,739 times
Thanks for the tip, I almost clicked it this morning. I went to 'Hijack This' but have no clue what to do with all those code things.
Instead of screwing something up, maybe I'll just take it into a shop today and let them mess with it....

Old 11-17-2008, 08:05 AM

5,070 posts, read 9,075,778 times
Get out what you can with other programs like SuperAntispyware or Malwarebytes. You may not have to use HiJack This.

But if you do want to HJT, download it to the desktop in its own folder, check for updates, close all windows, run it, and save the log. The people (at Castlecops, Bleeping Computer, and etc) helping you will able to tell if you don't have it in its own folder. They want you to do as much as you can before you do run HiJack This. It cuts down on the time they have to spend on it. Also, some places want you to refrain from posting the log until they say so.

Also, some time may pass before they respond. It is because they are busy. But be patient and somebody will get to you. Don't post logs to more than one place. They will be a little teed off, if you do.

Last edited by Brian.Pearson; 11-17-2008 at 08:14 AM..

Old 11-17-2008, 08:12 AM

4,243 posts, read 12,762,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
Thanks for the tip, I almost clicked it this morning. I went to 'Hijack This' but have no clue what to do with all those code things.
Instead of screwing something up, maybe I'll just take it into a shop today and let them mess with it....
The popup does look so legitimate, so don't feel badly about almost clicking.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:41 PM

1,597 posts, read 1,689,307 times
If you want to post the results of your HijackThis scan, I'd be happy to look at it for you and tell you what I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet