U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 01:33 PM

42,663 posts, read 75,359,941 times

Advertisements

I have AVG Free, and it has just informed that it detected a virus, and it is listed in the Virus Vault. What should I do? Will it, or did it disinfect this virus, or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 02:17 PM

1,597 posts, read 1,689,307 times
The virus vault is like a quarantine - a place of isolation where the virus is held so it can't do any harm to your system. AVG detected the virus and moved it there, awaiting your orders regarding how to handle it....whether to heal (clean/disinfect) the affected file or delete the virus itself. You should be able to access the vault to see what it is by clicking on the history option in the menu, but don't click on the affected file.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:33 PM

I can't find any tabs or clicks in AVG where I can tell it what to do with it. How do I tell it to do that? No buttons say heal , or clean or disinfect, or anything.

The only options are: restore / restore as / delete / send for analysis / empty vault.

I think 'delete' simply means remove the description of the infection from the vault contents list, and 'empty vault' might mean take the infected item out of quarantine and put it back where it can harm my computer, but who knows?

Old 11-10-2008, 08:14 PM

Click on this link to view some information that should help you.

AVG Antivirus and Security Software - FAQ

Old 11-10-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
Click on this link to view some information that should help you.

AVG Antivirus and Security Software - FAQ

Thanks. Is there any way to get to that FAQ from my user interface, of would I have to google it?

Old 11-10-2008, 08:57 PM

Maybe this will help:

http://download.avg.com/filedir/doc/AVG_Anti-Virus/user_manual/avg_aav_uma_en_80_10.pdf (broken link)

P.S. It's safe....just a direct link to a .pdf file containing the AVG 8.0 user manual.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:05 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,300,680 times
The new version is a bit confusing, I have AVG also. You have to hi-lite it to delete I think....LOL Try to get to the vault from the upper banner, history, vault.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
The new version is a bit confusing, I have AVG also. You have to hi-lite it to delete I think....LOL Try to get to the vault from the upper banner, history, vault.
I think its gone---earlier, I clicked "empty vault", and now there is nothing listed in the vault. Maybe when it runs its 4-am scan, Ill find out if it still thinks the thing is there.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:16 AM

1,677 posts, read 5,904,401 times
Well I finially dumped Symantec's software on the main computer and reduced my boot time by about 7 minutes. AVG is dong good for me so far.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:12 AM

4,243 posts, read 12,762,762 times
jtur88 -- depending on your settings for the Virus Vault, AVG will send infected files encrypted to that vault where they'll stay until you physically do something or for 30 days when AVG will automatically delete them. If you have AVG set to detect and automatically delete infected files, nothing will go to the vault, and infected files will just go bye-bye immediately.

It's odd that AVG's Help Manual says that AVG will automatically delete files after 30 days have passed, but that's not exactly true. I have files in my vault that go back to May.

What's important to know is that the infected file and not just the virus is in the vault, and it could be a file that you might need to run its associated program. For example, in my vault right now is an exe file for a game I occasionally play. Currently, the game won't run because its exe file is sitting encrypted in the vault.

I can't actually follow AVG's instructions about the vault per the Help Manual because it lists Rescan as an option and I don't have that option. So, to tell if the file is indeed infected and that my only recourse is to delete it, I'll have to try and run a system scan and only designate that particular file (rather than my entire computer) - haven't tried that yet - don't know if it's possible.

The Restore and Restore As options will send that file back to where it came from or to a location you designate. (Thus, the file is reactivated - fine if the file is clean, but not so fine if it's still infected.) The Delete and Empty Vault options essentially do the same thing - remove the files from your computer (the difference being that with Delete you can select individual files whereas with Empty Vault all files go away all at once.)

When I get a message from AVG that something has been placed in the vault, I simply say "thanks", take a look at what it is, leave it be, and go on my merry way. Looking at what's in the vault and seeing its path (thus knowing what program is affected), I know that at least for now my computer is safe with the infection being quarantined. If I have a problem with running a program (such as the game I mentioned above), I at least know why and can choose to delete the file in the vault and reinstall the program (hopefully a reinstall that's clean) or just do nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet