U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 12:57 AM

7,305 posts, read 23,780,681 times

Advertisements

I have a new $1200 computer that I am having trouble keeping a connection to the internet. We have two other computers in the house and when mine goes down, they still work fine. I even bought a new cat 5 cable, thinking that was the problem. My last computer sat right here and I did not have this problem with it.

We have a good internet provider too. I thought it was the computer, so I took it back to Best Buy and had it checked. They hooked it up to their internet and it worked fine for two hours, but I can come here (or any site) and it may work fine for 30 minutes, then it will go down for 5, sometimes 20 minutes. I get a "page cannot be displayed" message. It will even do this on my email.

I bought it back home and it went down 3 times in one hour. It just went out again about 5 minutes ago. I came here alittle while ago and typed this basic question, lost connection and could not post it.

When its working, it works fine and its fast.....

Does anyone have any clues as to what the problem could be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 01:40 AM

3,966 posts, read 9,516,441 times
You are wired from your computer to the router? or wireless? I have a similar problem with my wireless router, but im sure it has to do with the fact there are 5 other wireless networks in the area.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:47 AM

38,690 posts, read 90,160,254 times
Let me guess: your new computer runs Vista and your old one run XP or 2000.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
You are wired from your computer to the router? or wireless? I have a similar problem with my wireless router, but im sure it has to do with the fact there are 5 other wireless networks in the area.
Router

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Let me guess: your new computer runs Vista and your old one run XP or 2000.
Yes, I now have Vista and had XP

Thanks for the replies.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:59 AM

1,189 posts, read 3,644,701 times
You could try plugging that computer into a different port on the router and updating the ethernet card drivers. There is probably a power save option on the ethernet card you can turn off just incase Vista is shutting off your network card for some reason.
Or just skip to the chase and remove Vista and put XP on it , but you will want to make sure all of your hardware has XP drivers.

Are you current on all of the Vista updates from Microsoft?

Old 11-12-2008, 05:25 PM

4,608 posts, read 7,362,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
I bought it back home and it went down 3 times in one hour. It just went out again about 5 minutes ago. I came here alittle while ago and typed this basic question, lost connection and could not post it.
when you say the connection 'goes down', what really is happening? What kind of system message do get? What are you doing when the drop occurs? How do you re-connect?

I read you're using a router, hard wired. Is this router a wireless option? If wireless equipped, is broadcast disabled or enable. Do you have a wireless option in Vista (I don't use Vista) and is it OFF? That is, could the TCP/IP be trying to connect wirelessly to the router although hardware is not present? How many TCP/IP configurations is your Network Setting showing? One, more than one?

Open a Task Manager > Ctrl/Alt/Del < and click on the Processes tab. At bottom left it should show the number of processes you have running. Something mid-twenties is okay. Sixty-five is critically tooooo many but many computers come built with whistles and bells running when not needed.

How is your router configured? That is, I assume you have it set to assign an IP address to the PC, is this correct? Are you using the Vista firewall wall and AV or third party?

Old 11-12-2008, 06:21 PM

28,607 posts, read 40,588,688 times
Get the PC in a position where you can see the NIC connection. There should be a light that blinks with activity. Green or yellow. Check it when you lose connectivity. No blinkie or yes blinkie? Do the same at the router. A quick way to find which cable is yours is to note what lights are lit on the router and disconnect the cable from the PC. The light that goes out...

I'm not sure where it is in Vista, but somewhere you will find the address that DHCP assigns to the NIC card. It should be 192.168.0.xxx, which is common for routers. If it starts with 169 (I think that's right) instead of 192 you've lost DHCP and it's gone to a "no one's home" default.

Do you have to reboot to get connectivity or does it just start working again?

If it's possible (you have multiple connections?) pull the cable out of one of the other PC's, swap and run for a while and see if anything changes on either one.

Someone mentioned changing location on the router I think. Good idea.

What does the cable pass by on the way to the router? Any electrical cables? A group of them? Main power lines going up a wall next to it? Some NICS will be more sensitive to electrical disruption than others.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:55 PM

Thanks for all of the replies... sorry for my short/subtle answers earlier... I was rushing off to work.

I guess I have all of those updates, since this is a brand new computer... is it likely?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post
Are you current on all of the Vista updates from Microsoft?
This is the message I am getting:
" Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:
Diagnose Connection Problems

More information"

I could even try to post a message like this here and it will show this message.... after about 3-10 minutes of waiting, it will come back on (reconnect).

I do not recall seeing a wireless option on Vista, but I think our router has a wireless option? I will look into that. On that task mgr, that number ranges from 2-20 on average. Not sure about that last part you asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
when you say the connection 'goes down', what really is happening? What kind of system message do get? What are you doing when the drop occurs? How do you re-connect?

I read you're using a router, hard wired. Is this router a wireless option? If wireless equipped, is broadcast disabled or enable. Do you have a wireless option in Vista (I don't use Vista) and is it OFF? That is, could the TCP/IP be trying to connect wirelessly to the router although hardware is not present? How many TCP/IP configurations is your Network Setting showing? One, more than one?

Open a Task Manager > Ctrl/Alt/Del < and click on the Processes tab. At bottom left it should show the number of processes you have running. Something mid-twenties is okay. Sixty-five is critically tooooo many but many computers come built with whistles and bells running when not needed.

How is your router configured? That is, I assume you have it set to assign an IP address to the PC, is this correct? Are you using the Vista firewall wall and AV or third party?
I will see if I can check that lighting you mentioned. Not sure about those other questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Get the PC in a position where you can see the NIC connection. There should be a light that blinks with activity. Green or yellow. Check it when you lose connectivity. No blinkie or yes blinkie? Do the same at the router. A quick way to find which cable is yours is to note what lights are lit on the router and disconnect the cable from the PC. The light that goes out...

I'm not sure where it is in Vista, but somewhere you will find the address that DHCP assigns to the NIC card. It should be 192.168.0.xxx, which is common for routers. If it starts with 169 (I think that's right) instead of 192 you've lost DHCP and it's gone to a "no one's home" default.

Do you have to reboot to get connectivity or does it just start working again?

If it's possible (you have multiple connections?) pull the cable out of one of the other PC's, swap and run for a while and see if anything changes on either one.

Someone mentioned changing location on the router I think. Good idea.

What does the cable pass by on the way to the router? Any electrical cables? A group of them? Main power lines going up a wall next to it? Some NICS will be more sensitive to electrical disruption than others.
Thanks again!

Old 11-12-2008, 07:58 PM

111 posts, read 253,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
I have a new $1200 computer that I am having trouble keeping a connection to the internet. We have two other computers in the house and when mine goes down, they still work fine. I even bought a new cat 5 cable, thinking that was the problem. My last computer sat right here and I did not have this problem with it.

We have a good internet provider too. I thought it was the computer, so I took it back to Best Buy and had it checked. They hooked it up to their internet and it worked fine for two hours, but I can come here (or any site) and it may work fine for 30 minutes, then it will go down for 5, sometimes 20 minutes. I get a "page cannot be displayed" message. It will even do this on my email.

When its working, it works fine and its fast.....

Does anyone have any clues as to what the problem could be?
Are you using a tri band modem? if so, the signal may be poor in your area. Its the same deal with my laptop.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texgrl View Post
Are you using a tri band modem? if so, the signal may be poor in your area. Its the same deal with my laptop.

Not sure.... I think its a built in modem. I do know that my folks computer runs on the same thing and theirs is fine and my last computer that set at this very spot was also fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet