Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2008, 07:53 PM

521 posts, read 1,629,599 times

Advertisements

Im moving into a new place for a couple of months and will be having two new male roomates. There is already a high speed wireless network set up. I was wondering if they will be able to see/monitor my internet activity. I will be using their wireless internet with their knowledge. Any clue?

Last edited by wesside; 11-11-2008 at 07:58 PM.. Reason: edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 08:34 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,065 times
Yeah, if they know how.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:09 PM

521 posts, read 1,629,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Yeah, if they know how.
So I guess the question would then be, is it difficult to do? Is it very difficult, moderately dificult, or easy to do? Would they have to be a computer wiz to do it?

Overall, I just want to get a feeling of how likely it would be to happen to me. Dont know these guys very well, as this is a sudden move Im making and will only be living there until January.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:11 PM

712 posts, read 2,146,152 times
I am a computer whiz.. if you paid me I could find out for yah.. but otherwise I have no interest.. I assume at my skill level it would take me 1 to 8 hours to learn the basics..

I'd say that unless they have usb hard drives, yagi's, multiple routers things that indentify geeks.. ohh yah how about a 42" HDTV as a monitor that's what I use.. then no there your average dumb run of the miller users that don't know ****.. it'd be easier for them to steal your laptop, mug you etc. then learn or do that stuff..

Old 11-12-2008, 05:44 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
I would be more concerned with direct access. Passwords, passwords, passwords.

When your computer first starts there is a key you can press to access the setup. In setup you will find Security or Passwords on a menu. Add a start up password. You can also add a password to get into the set up screens you're in when you do this. Every time you start the computer you will have to enter a password. This is separate from Windows.

When the computer is starting press F8 about once a second until a menu appears choose Safe Mode. Once you are in Windows open Control Panel and go to Users. Choose Administrator and add a password. Choose the user you use normally and add a password. If you have multiple users set up add passwords to each one. Save and reboot.

Here's a place to test the strength of passwords. It also explains how to make a strong one.

Password checker

Old 11-12-2008, 10:13 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,442,889 times
When you change passwords and are using XP home change the Administrtor password there too from the default.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:50 PM

307 posts, read 1,181,504 times
Yes it can be done and it's relatively easy depending on the network. Grabbing your packets and decrypting out of the air is easy to tough depending on the level of encryption, but it’s unnecessary if they have access to the wire. Even if you are on wireless with WPA-2 (high level encryption) running, once the packets hit the wire the issue of encryption is null.

The real question will be are they actually doing it. There are usually ways to tell if someone is up to something shady like that, but then, the better they are the more stealth they would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet