U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 10:48 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,075,778 times

Advertisements

I used a different program with my problem. I first ran it in normal mode, followed by using it in safe mode. I did a file search for everything with 2009 in it and destroyed them between those two runs. I then ran it with CCleaner and Spybot Search & Destroy, back in normal mode.

It might have been quicker if I had just run MalwareBytes, but to be on the safe side, I probably would've run it in safe mode.

One thing a lot of people overlook is getting updates for the malware cleaner before use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 11:26 AM

4 posts, read 6,362 times
Unhappy frustrated...it's still happening

So I'm still having a lot of problems with the redirecting. I uninstalled Google Chrome because on the timeline, that's when the problem started happening. After uninstalling that, I was using Mozilla FF and adjusted some of the redirects in the about:config as suggested by another user on another forum. Apparently, that worked for a lot of people, but not for me. Eventually, my FF was driving me insane and i was having better luck with IE so I uninstalled FF and just used IE7. However, I'm still having a lot of these problems. So much so, that I hate getting on my computer now.

I tried using SmitfraudFix, SDFix, SuperAntiSpyware, FixIEDef, as well as ComboFix and AnitVir. It said it fixed a few things, but I don't remember as I already got rid of the reports that it gave.

I tried going to malwarebytes.com but my computer won't let me get there. Can someone email me the file from malwarebytes or something? I'm really frustated and this is a fairly new laptop that I'm about to fling from my window! LOL.

Any help would be most appreciative.

Thanks!
kyler

Old 01-11-2009, 12:42 PM

I had read on some board, I don't remember which, there are some bad critters that won't allow you to go to security-related sites. You might have to download from another computer to a thumb drive.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:11 PM

10,752 posts, read 18,001,409 times
It's very likely that if you have something blocking the malwarebytes website, it is also going to block the installation even if you download it from another computer.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
It's very likely that if you have something blocking the malwarebytes website, it is also going to block the installation even if you download it from another computer.
Can it be installed on the thumb drive as well as run from it?

Old 01-11-2009, 11:23 PM

I'm going to try the thumbdrive idea today when I go to work. I was able to get to the SDFix, ComboFix, etc. yesterday. Not sure why it would let me get there but not to Malwarebytes. Is there a real good fix for any of this coming out from the antivirus companies anytime soon? Will update more after work when I try the thumb drive, thanks guys!
Kyler

Old 01-12-2009, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Can it be installed on the thumb drive as well as run from it?
I don't believe MB will work that way.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:01 AM

What about using a different site, such as Majorgeeks? Also, I've read that once you get the program, you may have to have to rename the installer before you can run it.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:22 AM

Brian,

I tried to get to Majorgeeks also, no result...seems my computer won't let me get to any website that has to do with anything that will fix what I have. This is really frustrating.

I wonder...what if I completely uninstalled windows and reinstalled? I have a "rescue disk" that came with my computer (i have a Gateway) but not an actual Windows disk. What do you guys think?

Kyler

Old 01-13-2009, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyler07 View Post
Brian,

I tried to get to Majorgeeks also, no result...seems my computer won't let me get to any website that has to do with anything that will fix what I have. This is really frustrating.

I wonder...what if I completely uninstalled windows and reinstalled? I have a "rescue disk" that came with my computer (i have a Gateway) but not an actual Windows disk. What do you guys think?

Kyler
A format and reload will definetly get rid of it, as long as you can back up your important data that's an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet