U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2008, 08:03 PM

100 posts, read 369,878 times

Advertisements

I do not know if most of you use AOL as your isp, but it appears most of them are deep right wing neo-cons. The endless amounts of racist comments I read on message boards about any story that has to do with race, to a straw poll which I believe had John McCain winning every single state, to the few conservatives I have listed on my facebook account, all of them I met through AOL.

When did this demographic shift happen. The disparity is amazing and it really does appear as if many of them are so backwards. I only use AOL right now because I have had it for so long ever since I was a young teen and I am strongly considering discontinuing use of AOL because of the ignorance of the members that they still have.

So anyone has any idea why AOL seems to be so conservative, because quite frankly what they put out don't gear to a specific demographic. My guess it is cultural being that AOL was the first for everything, and my theory is when a lot of people from those red states were catching onto the internet they had a choice of AOL and are still using it today. I have a number of email accounts that I do not use at all and I really am considering using those accounts for personal and business purposes because I have a feeling AOL is a joke right now.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:23 PM

2,880 posts, read 6,225,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenourtv View Post
I do not know if most of you use AOL as your isp, but it appears most of them are deep right wing neo-cons. The endless amounts of racist comments I read on message boards about any story that has to do with race, to a straw poll which I believe had John McCain winning every single state, to the few conservatives I have listed on my facebook account, all of them I met through AOL.

When did this demographic shift happen. The disparity is amazing and it really does appear as if many of them are so backwards. I only use AOL right now because I have had it for so long ever since I was a young teen and I am strongly considering discontinuing use of AOL because of the ignorance of the members that they still have.

So anyone has any idea why AOL seems to be so conservative, because quite frankly what they put out don't gear to a specific demographic. My guess it is cultural being that AOL was the first for everything, and my theory is when a lot of people from those red states were catching onto the internet they had a choice of AOL and are still using it today. I have a number of email accounts that I do not use at all and I really am considering using those accounts for personal and business purposes because I have a feeling AOL is a joke right now.
I seriously doubt AOL is absolutely dominated by right-wing racists. You sure do make a ton of generalizations though. First of all, being conservative does not equal a "deep-right neocon". Your generalizations about red states are equally ignorant.
AOL is a joke? So something used by a majority of liberals, that makes it legit? lol.

-a conservative non-AOL user.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:01 AM

4,243 posts, read 12,762,762 times
xenourtv - appreciate your thoughts, but I and my AOL contacts don't fit inside your generalizations at all.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:45 PM

2,631 posts, read 4,978,506 times
neither do my wife's aol contacts. but hey, who likes to have their bubbles burst?

Old 11-23-2008, 02:41 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,686,378 times
Xen: I guess that means Comcast is populated by left-wing hatemongers, right? After all, they have to go somewhere.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:40 AM

573 posts, read 616,606 times
Moderators: This does not seem the appropriate forum for this thread.

Please move here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...controversies/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or