U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 08:14 AM

445 posts, read 1,408,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onevthoki View Post
Any chance someone has figured this out in the last year? Reason I am trying to download to a CD is that I place them in my client file in case there is ever a question. Legally I have to keep all paperwork for three years, and that could really clog up my archive file.
Have you tried the "print to pdf' that macroy suggested? You will need something like Adobe Acrobat 9 (that is what I have)

Open a gmail and you will see print all click on print all and you will be given choices as to which printer to send it to - choose Adobe PDF and then you will be asked for a file name/location. You should have a method for naming the files that will work for your situation. ie client number, house address ??? The pdf that is created will include all replies in both directions ( I sent an email, Bob replied and I replied to Bob's reply) All these show up on the same pdf document. The pdf file is pretty same and not much in the way of junk.

If you know someone with Adobe Acrobat 9 or even 8 - you could try it on their pc (windows xp is what I am using) to see if this is a way to get a what you need I am sure you can download a trial copy of this program and I just saw some selling on ebay for less than $100. An additional benefit "should" be the ability to seach thru the pdfs for something you need to find !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 07:40 AM

4,581 posts, read 8,192,327 times
Quote:
Any chance someone has figured this out in the last year? Reason I am trying to download to a CD is that I place them in my client file in case there is ever a question. Legally I have to keep all paperwork for three years, and that could really clog up my archive file.
I think your best bet is still to organize them within gmail. Tag the email with a label of your client's name, address, date or all three labels and archive them. Then when you need to, you can just search by label or even content. And if you want to delete all emails within a certain date, just do a search for that date range. Be it within gmail, or on your PC, you'll still need to organize them - right? And this gives you the opportunity to access them from anywhere and not have to worry about losing them due to a system failure on your side.

If you still want a local copy, you'll need a pop client like Outlook or Thunderbird to download the messages. Otherwise, another option is to print them to a file like pdf or even Microsofts XPS. But again, you'll still have to organize them on your computer. Seems redundant to me.. but that's just my .02.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:03 PM

55 posts, read 152,622 times
Default Copy and Paste

Quote:
I need help and can't find a "how to" on the google sight. I want to save some emails to CD so that I can go ahead and delete them from my account. I have tried "Save As" through Internet Explorer, both as HTML and just text, but no luck.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Create a text file with notepad or wordpad.
Copy each email from google and paste it into the text file.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:16 AM

1 posts, read 6,642 times
Default The system I use as a real estate agent

Quote:

I'm right there with you! As an real estate agent myself, I'm trying to find the solution to this issue. Don't know exactly what the requirements are in your state--i.e. if a gmail archived closed file on a web-based server will satisfy your real estate agency's requirements.

I have finally come to the conclusion you've already been told by others in this thread - archiving labeled files in gmail is the cleanest way to keep track of all of the past client files for email. I use labels to subordinate files by closed year (i.e. closed/2010/123Main). You'll have to play around with the naming system, as it can be a little tweaky if not done in a way gmail will accept, and the name cannot be too long or else it won't let you name it.

Still, if you want a free and fairly simple way to save these files to email, one thing that I've done in the past which is fairly painless, but not very streamlined, is to download CutePDF writer [url=http://www.cutepdf.com/]CutePDF - Create PDF for free, Free PDF Utilities, Save PDF Forms, Edit PDF easily.[/url] and to "print" emails to CutePDF. Adobe, Outlook Express, etc. would probably do the same thing, but I haven't used them. Here's the process I use:

1. Make sure that the file is labeled so that you can just run down the label as I do below.
2. Under that file / label, I start with the oldest conversation, select it by clicking on it like you're going to read it, and then click the Print All button at the top right of the conversation box just above the sponsored links. It will then pop up a new window with the entire thread expanded and automatically pull up the print box option.
3. Select print to CutePDF writer (or whatever program you use).
4. 3 seconds later (longer if it's pulling multiple images. LET IT TAKE ITS TIME!) it pops up with a named email (i.e. Gmail - Lead Paint disclosure for you to sign) for you to save to your hard drive.
5. Click Enter to save (note: if you try to save a file that has the same name as an earlier email, it won't let you write over the old file. Pick a new name, or easier yet keep the same name and add a number behind it. Many times you'll have the same name used many times. WARNING: there have been times when the name is too long, I've saved the file, and I cannot access it / read it after it's saved. This may because I hit enter before the file was fully populated, or it may just be a mal-formed file for whatever reason, but it has happened once or twice).
6. Click Ctrl + W to close the window out.
7. Click Shift + S to star the conversation (that way I know I've printed the email to the hard drive file, helps me keep track!).
8. Click K to move on to the next conversation (shortcut enabled in Gmail)
9. Click Print All, etc., rinse, lather, repeat.

If I find out a better system, I'll post that. So far, I'm labeling and archiving in Gmail and saving these files to hard drive merely as a formality for the real estate agency in case I ever get audited.

Hope this helps!

Old 10-24-2010, 12:34 PM

28,607 posts, read 40,588,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordiebody View Post
I'm right there with you! As an real estate agent myself, I'm trying to find the solution to this issue. Don't know exactly what the requirements are in your state--i.e. if a gmail archived closed file on a web-based server will satisfy your real estate agency's requirements.

I have finally come to the conclusion you've already been told by others in this thread - archiving labeled files in gmail is the cleanest way to keep track of all of the past client files for email. I use labels to subordinate files by closed year (i.e. closed/2010/123Main). You'll have to play around with the naming system, as it can be a little tweaky if not done in a way gmail will accept, and the name cannot be too long or else it won't let you name it.

Still, if you want a free and fairly simple way to save these files to email, one thing that I've done in the past which is fairly painless, but not very streamlined, is to download CutePDF writer CutePDF - Create PDF for free, Free PDF Utilities, Save PDF Forms, Edit PDF easily. and to "print" emails to CutePDF. Adobe, Outlook Express, etc. would probably do the same thing, but I haven't used them. Here's the process I use:

1. Make sure that the file is labeled so that you can just run down the label as I do below.
2. Under that file / label, I start with the oldest conversation, select it by clicking on it like you're going to read it, and then click the Print All button at the top right of the conversation box just above the sponsored links. It will then pop up a new window with the entire thread expanded and automatically pull up the print box option.
3. Select print to CutePDF writer (or whatever program you use).
4. 3 seconds later (longer if it's pulling multiple images. LET IT TAKE ITS TIME!) it pops up with a named email (i.e. Gmail - Lead Paint disclosure for you to sign) for you to save to your hard drive.
5. Click Enter to save (note: if you try to save a file that has the same name as an earlier email, it won't let you write over the old file. Pick a new name, or easier yet keep the same name and add a number behind it. Many times you'll have the same name used many times. WARNING: there have been times when the name is too long, I've saved the file, and I cannot access it / read it after it's saved. This may because I hit enter before the file was fully populated, or it may just be a mal-formed file for whatever reason, but it has happened once or twice).
6. Click Ctrl + W to close the window out.
7. Click Shift + S to star the conversation (that way I know I've printed the email to the hard drive file, helps me keep track!).
8. Click K to move on to the next conversation (shortcut enabled in Gmail)
9. Click Print All, etc., rinse, lather, repeat.

If I find out a better system, I'll post that. So far, I'm labeling and archiving in Gmail and saving these files to hard drive merely as a formality for the real estate agency in case I ever get audited.

Hope this helps!
An added step here: In Windows Explorer or My Computer go to the file and open it to make sure you can access it before moving on to the next file.

If you are required, as you state, to keep all paperwork for three years why not just do a copy/paste to Notepad or other editor then print each one and save it in the client folder? That said if you have a lot to print I understand your reasoning.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:22 PM

34,281 posts, read 59,604,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
An added step here: In Windows Explorer or My Computer go to the file and open it to make sure you can access it before moving on to the next file.

If you are required, as you state, to keep all paperwork for three years why not just do a copy/paste to Notepad or other editor then print each one and save it in the client folder? That said if you have a lot to print I understand your reasoning.
Tek,
I have the same issue with Outlook, and we now have to keep files 5 years for the State.
It is not unusual to have 200+ emails in a client or prospective client file.
And we may have attachments in 10%--15% of them.
Printing is not a very desirable option.

I burned 370 emails from one file to disc with a DOS operation that was dictated to me over the phone, and cannot duplicate it without bothering that person again.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:06 PM

28,607 posts, read 40,588,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Tek,
I have the same issue with Outlook, and we now have to keep files 5 years for the State.
It is not unusual to have 200+ emails in a client or prospective client file.
And we may have attachments in 10%--15% of them.
Printing is not a very desirable option.

I burned 370 emails from one file to disc with a DOS operation that was dictated to me over the phone, and cannot duplicate it without bothering that person again.
In Outlook:

Go to Tools/Options/Mail Setup tab

Click on Data Files...

If you have more than one listing you want to highlight Personal Folders and click on Settings to the right.

This Properties dialog box will tell you where Outlook looks for the file that has mail.

In Windows Explorer browse to this directory and copy the files in it to a CD. Assume D:\email as the copy to location

If you change the location in the Properties dialog box you opened above to D:\email\ (Important!: Make a copy of the initial location using copy/paste into Notepad so you don't lose it), then when you close and reopen Outlook you will see the email on the CD.

If you have used folders and subfolders in Outlook to store the emails they will be easy to find. Printing, referring, etc are then very simple.

When you are finished change the location back to the original in the Properties dialog box shown above.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 10-25-2010 at 04:30 PM..

Old 12-15-2010, 07:51 PM

1 posts, read 6,494 times
I am having a similar issue; I delete to trash (then empty trash) hundreds of emails a day..... 429 today. And my gmail KEEPS saying "almost out of space" and within a day or two I can no longer send or receive due to account being "full". Several people have said this isn't possible, but I can show it to them.....

Old 12-15-2010, 10:07 PM

14,523 posts, read 7,675,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmidkiff View Post
I am having a similar issue; I delete to trash (then empty trash) hundreds of emails a day..... 429 today. And my gmail KEEPS saying "almost out of space" and within a day or two I can no longer send or receive due to account being "full". Several people have said this isn't possible, but I can show it to them.....
You have 7 GB of emails?

Old 12-15-2010, 10:17 PM

335 posts, read 1,159,247 times
The easy way I do it is using an email client like Outlook express to download the messages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet