U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 01:37 PM

1,160 posts, read 3,046,529 times

Advertisements

I need help and can't find a "how to" on the google sight. I want to save some emails to CD so that I can go ahead and delete them from my account. I have tried "Save As" through Internet Explorer, both as HTML and just text, but no luck.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 02:08 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,019,463 times
copy and paste? or you can print to a PDF file (if you have a mac or a pdf writer handy), or you can use a pop client (like outlook) and download it and store it.

Although with the amount of space they give you - I'd just leave it up there. Makes it much easier to access later on.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:59 PM

5,069 posts, read 5,901,020 times
I noticed a "print all" button. I clicked on one string, clicked on the "print all" link, and canceled the print it looks a little neater to copy paste, to me. I haven't tried it, but it's an thought.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:32 PM

38,757 posts, read 39,394,772 times
One nice thing about copy/paste is that you can then edit the notepad text down to manageable proportions and then save the truncated version, and/or save each one as a separate file with a unique name and index them.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:40 PM

38,757 posts, read 39,394,772 times
I find that Gmail requires a creative strategy, to avoid saving a milliion emails. After I have about 200 in my mailbox, I trash them all, then go through trash and pick out the ones I want to save and put them back in the archive.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:34 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $89,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,649 posts, read 21,658,691 times
Your Gmail box has a huge capacity of over 7 GB. I seriously doubt that your mailbox is close to full. Why not use Gmail's archive feature to get the messages out of your inbox?

Also, it's much better to keep your emails on the Gmail server so that you can access them from anywhere on the Internet. Keeping them on a local hard drive or CD is risky because the hard drive/CD can fail or break and lose everything. And finally, you'll eventually want to upgrade to a newer computer. Keeping the emails archived on the server, you won't have to move those emails from the old computer to the new one.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:31 PM

15,010 posts, read 7,310,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Your Gmail box has a huge capacity of over 7 GB. I seriously doubt that your mailbox is close to full. Why not use Gmail's archive feature to get the messages out of your inbox?

Also, it's much better to keep your emails on the Gmail server so that you can access them from anywhere on the Internet. Keeping them on a local hard drive or CD is risky because the hard drive/CD can fail or break and lose everything. And finally, you'll eventually want to upgrade to a newer computer. Keeping the emails archived on the server, you won't have to move those emails from the old computer to the new one.
I agree with this strategy. I have a Gmail account as well, but I prefer to download, read and send Gmail messages though an e-mail client--in my case, it's Outlook 2003. But the ones I want to save long term, I just archive them in the web interface for future retrieval, if need be.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:36 PM

701 posts, read 1,492,765 times
What I want to know is how to have SENT MAIL automatically deleted. I can't find the setting anywhere, and I don't want sent mail sitting on their server. Anyone?

Old 12-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $89,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,649 posts, read 21,658,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
What I want to know is how to have SENT MAIL automatically deleted. I can't find the setting anywhere, and I don't want sent mail sitting on their server. Anyone?
There isn't a way to do this from the server automatically within Gmail. You'll have to do it manually.

Maybe the best way to remember the manual is to set an event in Google Calendar that will send you an email reminder to delete sent mail every Friday or every weekday?

You might be able to automate it from an email client if you have it connect to Gmail via IMAP. How to automate that in a client is at least one and maybe two layers of challenge itself.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:32 AM

1,160 posts, read 3,046,529 times
Any chance someone has figured this out in the last year? Reason I am trying to download to a CD is that I place them in my client file in case there is ever a question. Legally I have to keep all paperwork for three years, and that could really clog up my archive file.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet