Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2008, 09:15 PM

242 posts, read 1,002,136 times

Advertisements

I have a Laptop computer, would like to know who offer the Best wireless service for DSL or Broadband?

As long as you have the PC card it allow you to go wireless. Just want to know who have the Best wireless service in DSL or Broadband? Even heard "Cricket" offer wireless Broadband.

Thanks,

PacificWest

Last edited by PacificWest; 11-27-2008 at 09:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 03:05 AM

712 posts, read 2,146,027 times
Well, I highly suggest you work on a more coherent question or at least your terminology

I'm going to assume your question means.. who offers the best portable internet service nationwide?

The answer = depends..

Since I haven't tried them all, I can't account for the 2nd type of 3G/data network available.. the 2nd one is called GSM and is offered by providers like t-mobile/at&t

What I've been told is it has speeds in some places that is above 1 mbit.. and I don't even have a clue what its ping times would be.. but it’s my understanding it’s coverage is severely limited to the more mature networks of Verizon/Alltel/Sprint

The network I'm most familiar with is CDMA technology which has EVDO provided by verizon/alltel/sprint and I believe cricket.. what I know about these from my personal use is the following..

Coverage =
Verizon get's pretty far out
Sprint may be able to match this
Alltel carry’s all the boonies and yah it’s possible to have EVDO in the middle of nowhere like south Dakota highways.. there a great roaming partner of sprint too..

Speed =
Verizon the best I've seen is 40-60 kb/s
Sprint I've seen 1 mbit+ (1.12 mbit or so recently) but it's average is more like 70-80 kb/s

When EVDO is not available then you'll be on 1xx data network and that has 500 ms ping times and 6-20 kb/s downloads..

Since I've covered this in some of my other posts I'll just some this up.. I'm a sprint fan and on the right plan you can tether really cheap via sprint (but then again with different phone providers you can also tether for nothing) for $30 a month.. since I have a Rev. A phone I believe ping times are actually down to 100 ms for the first hop.. though I'm used to saying/thinking 200 ms

I have recently seen cricket EVDO from a customer (which I honestly didn't even know exists) it seemed to work fine and likely had a match to the numbers above.. I will say that a lot of providers have placed 5 Gb caps on downloads now for providers if you think your going to hit this cap I seriously think you should look for company's that don't provide this like alltel or I would suggest a sprint reseller.. in addition from my basic knowledge of cricket I don't think they have any type or real roaming agreements so if you plan to travel the country and use internet they should not be considered a good fit..

I suggest if you want to know more you do some research on howardforums.com or here..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet