U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 06:20 PM

23,985 posts, read 23,215,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Osiyo Oginali Tinman313 ... I'm with you ... cheap-->works-->go for it

elohino dohiyi gesesti .........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 11:27 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,640,951 times
I've used wifi hotspots without problem. However, most of the hotspots around me are trying to charge! ((There's a McD's that wants $9/day))

I now use my phone as a modem and I'm all good.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:32 PM

Cool Phone as a Modem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurai View Post
I've used wifi hotspots without problem. However, most of the hotspots around me are trying to charge! ((There's a McD's that wants $9/day))

I now use my phone as a modem and I'm all good.
Is that a cell phone? if a cell phone you would have a dial-up on air...
And Mickey D wants $9 a day for WiFi.. I wonder if the cronies I talked with where paying? From my understanding they have a gadget that shows a "Hot Spot" and then they just sit down and go online, plus purchase a coffee and croissant or what ever...... One told me he sits in his car after going threw drive up..... Hum...... Thanks

Old 12-03-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
Is that a cell phone? if a cell phone you would have a dial-up on air...
And Mickey D wants $9 a day for WiFi.. I wonder if the cronies I talked with where paying? From my understanding they have a gadget that shows a "Hot Spot" and then they just sit down and go online, plus purchase a coffee and croissant or what ever...... One told me he sits in his car after going threw drive up..... Hum...... Thanks
You are right. It's a cellphone.

I've been to some McD's that are free - but the closest one to my place wants to charge $9. Just like there are two Starbucks near me. One gives free Wi-Fi; the other goes through T-Mobile or something and charges. Panera Bread has free Wi-Fi.

My favorite place is actually at a mall. The cable company provides free internets inside the mall - lightning fast, to boot.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:11 PM

How does the connection work on the cell phone.... This is all foreign to me...... That's got to be one hefty cell phone bill...... I just got a Tracfone, land line is just too expensive. I'm a technochallenged Ole Person...... and cheap!

Old 12-03-2008, 02:40 PM

4,581 posts, read 8,192,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
How does the connection work on the cell phone.... This is all foreign to me...... That's got to be one hefty cell phone bill...... I just got a Tracfone, land line is just too expensive. I'm a technochallenged Ole Person...... and cheap!
It basically uses your carrier's network to access the Internet. It's also known as tethering - as you tether your phone to your laptop. The other option is to use a "wireless card" that you just insert into your laptop. Both cases, you have to have a "data plan" with your wireless company. And costs can very. I have a blackberry and a wireless card to use with my plan (through my company)... and I believe its like $90 / month for my account. I don't know what my minutes are - but I've never had to pay for extra usage... and I'm online quit a bit.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:01 PM

712 posts, read 1,963,174 times
Well not all require a data plan.. my phone comes with data cause it's PDA.. and I use a simple program called "internet sharing" for windows mobile that my provider broke a bit that I just *fixed*

And oh yah, for the last 4-6 weeks I've been using this in various regions of the U.S. right now I'm back in vegas.. ignoring the hotels charge for wifi.. if you want to learn about tethering I suggest you go to howardforums.com that's where the phone geeks hang out

Old 12-03-2008, 06:06 PM

Thanks but where back too the $$$$$$$. I'm cheap..... or Free is better. Interesting site themaster, I will do more digging......

Old 12-04-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I've never dealt with Tracfone... With my cellphone, I have a cable that connects the phone to a USB port of my computer. I fire up the "Phone as a Modem" feature on the phone and start my computer program that activates it on the computer (came on a CD with the phone). From there, I can surf as I need.

The unlimited data package only runs me an extra $5/month.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:33 AM

No I don't plan on using the Tracfone for tethering. I did see something awhile ago about a pre-paid on air card. So much $$$ for up stream and so much for down stream. If I remember so much for x amount of mega bite ~ Kill-a-bite. How do they figure that out? Not water going threw a pipe where you have a meter.. or maybe they do... I guess I'll keep digging....... Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or