U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2008, 10:18 PM

100 posts, read 261,943 times

Advertisements

I have had the hughes satilite internet system and I am not to happy with it. If you use it to much they turn your system to slow and I am always getting a white screen saying server not found. Very furstrating. I had to buy the system for 500.00 and sign a 2 year contract. I pay 66.00 a month for this service and I called once and they said they would send someone out to check the system for 40.00 in a couple of days. wow- I live out away from other providers (tried clear blue). When it works of course I love it but it seems to be getting worse and worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 03:16 PM

18,511 posts, read 55,435,808 times
You need to make sure that the tech verifies the antenna pointing and adjusts it if needed. High winds, roof mounts that settle or loosen, and pole mounts that get hit by animals and equipment can misalign the focus of the antennas on the satellite. If the receive is aligned properly, but the transmit is not, you can see great signal strength but have poor connection.

The DNS servers that Hughes uses are strange. If you get a server not found response and reload the page, the DNS will usually find the link, and continue to do so for a while. It is almost as though the DNS servers are having problems connecting to others and updating their lists.

Don't settle for bad service. The guarantee on repairs is one month, and you should get credit for times the system isn't functioning properly. If you get a repair that doesn't fix the problem, call and demand it be done properly at no cost to you. You might also find that switching to a different satellite in the network may help, by finding one with a lower usage and faster connections.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:44 PM

3,533 posts, read 11,482,109 times
i have a freind that has that and in the winter time he was ready to pull up the dish and throw it in the garbage. he was paying 84 bucks a month just for internet and he had tv service through them to. i also checked on getting it and not for 80 bucks a month. i went with dsl through my phone company and it's around 50 bucks for both. i would never recomend it to anyone , i know that. if you live where you have no type of service check into getting wireless internet through verizion or at&t . i checked on that and i can get that for about 55 bucks a month.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:39 PM

i did have the techs check the signal and they said it was fine. That is when they said they could send someone out for 40.00. I hate to say it but I am glad to here I am not the only one unhappy with the service. My neighbor just got the service (right across the street) I am wondering if that is causing problems? I will call them and speak to a surpervisor (hopefully) and have them check it again. I also tried to get wireless through verizion and they or no others have the service out here. I decided just to move closer to town!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-13-2008, 09:27 AM

3,533 posts, read 11,482,109 times
wow jen, you must really be in gods country. i thought we were. you got us beat. hope you can get your problem fixed soon.

Old 12-13-2008, 04:52 PM

northwest washington----------------ya I know I should not complain. It is gods county!!!!!

Old 12-13-2008, 05:32 PM

20,521 posts, read 26,704,148 times
Jenn,

What is your signal strength? I have Hughesnet but I have a portable system because we travel. For the most part I am happy with the service but because I don't have a permanent mount we do have to re-set the dish if we have a windy day or night.

Call hughes and tell them you will cancel if they can't get their act together. I have no other option for internet. No land lines where I am not even electric. Can you get cable internet?

Old 12-14-2008, 12:27 AM

712 posts, read 1,963,174 times
There are always options.. I just point out 2 easy ones..

1. You can use the 1xx/GSM data networks and EVDO if there in your area (cell's) included with this if you’re in the boonies you can use specialized antenna's to boost signals.. Bare in mind as I've said before
1xx/GSM = Comparable to 56k little better on download, little worse on ping times
EVDO = Very good pings beat or exceed 56k, download up to 1 mbit
2. It's possible to setup a network with your neighbor within a 10 mile radius or maybe more and shoot wireless signals back and forth 802.11g and basically partake of their network..

From my experience with all satellite internet I would highly recommend getting away from it and only using it if it's your only choice.. (which I digress it may be) but it's biggest problem as far as I'm concerned is it's ping times which = 500-750 ms to get to space.. 500-750 ms to come back down.. in real world terms this lead to page loads of 8-30 seconds.. or worse..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or