U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-14-2008, 11:17 AM
 
90 posts, read 295,936 times
Reputation: 75

Advertisements

In the last few weeks, my computer at home is acting kind of crazy. When I do a search on a topic in either Yahoo or Google the results will come up as normal but then when I click the result, I will be switched to a new web-page that does not match my result.

For example, I will Google: "Weather", it shows weather.com and I will click on it and then I am redirected to a advertising site. No, not a pop up, but a completely different site.

I assume I have some type of Virus or Spyware but when I scan for them nothing is found. Having the computer looked at by professionals for this will cost me big bucks.

I have Zone Alarm and a couple spyware protectors and have done a number of sweeps, and they do not find anything.

Last edited by political genius; 12-14-2008 at 11:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-14-2008, 11:34 AM
 
Location: NH and lovin' it!
1,780 posts, read 3,459,149 times
Reputation: 1318
I'd be willing to bet you have a virus. What virus/malware protection do you have? How often do you run it? Spend some time cleaning. Shut off your "restore" function, clean, then turn it back on after you have the desired result. Clean out your "trashcan"/recycle bin.

If you need some suggestions,
some of my best security programs are:
AVG
Norton
Spy Sweeper
XoftSpySE (don't get the advanced/pay version)
SpyEraser
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2008, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Tyler, TX
15,209 posts, read 18,488,428 times
Reputation: 8052
I'd add:

AdAware
Spybot Search & Destroy

to the above list.

Also possible, but unlikely, is DNS cache poisoning. There was a vulnerability found semi-recently that could allow an attacker to poison the DNS cache of an ISPs DNS servers, allowing them to redirect users to the website of their choice. A lot of ISPs were slow to implement the fix, and some still haven't. Your problem is much more likely to be spyware, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2008, 12:29 PM
 
Location: NH and lovin' it!
1,780 posts, read 3,459,149 times
Reputation: 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I'd add:

AdAware
Spybot Search & Destroy

to the above list.

Also possible, but unlikely, is DNS cache poisoning. There was a vulnerability found semi-recently that could allow an attacker to poison the DNS cache of an ISPs DNS servers, allowing them to redirect users to the website of their choice. A lot of ISPs were slow to implement the fix, and some still haven't. Your problem is much more likely to be spyware, though.
Hey, Swagger!
Can that problem be fixed by cleaning the cache? I used to know how to do that, but forgot. Can you explain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2008, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Tyler, TX
15,209 posts, read 18,488,428 times
Reputation: 8052
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
Hey, Swagger!
Can that problem be fixed by cleaning the cache? I used to know how to do that, but forgot. Can you explain?
No no... different cache. The problem I was referring to has to do with Internet infrastructure, and is totally beyond your control - it would pertain to the software your ISP runs.

It would probably be better if you just ignored that part of my post - it's highly unlikely, and if it were the case, your ISP would have been flooded with support calls and probably patched the vulnerable software in short order.

Stick with the spyware scans - it's almost certainly your problem. Also, you should probably refrain from logging into any websites that contain/use sensitive information, such as your bank, paypal, ebay, etc. until you know your system is clean. If someone was able to get a trojan or whatever onto your machine to do the redirects, they could also be capturing keystrokes - not good.

Edit: Thought I was replying to the OP. There's info in there for both of you, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2008, 06:03 AM
 
10,752 posts, read 18,001,409 times
Reputation: 10244
See the post entitled Redirects Making Google Useless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2008, 06:52 AM
 
Location: Amelia View
4,243 posts, read 12,762,762 times
Reputation: 3790
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
See the post entitled Redirects Making Google Useless
political genius - do go to that thread above - great info. Without doubt, add malwarebytes to the list of your arsenal.

Quote:
NHDave wrote: download and run Malwarebytes.org
Make sure you update it first then do a full scan, not a quick scan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2008, 04:21 PM
 
Location: NH and lovin' it!
1,780 posts, read 3,459,149 times
Reputation: 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
No no... different cache. The problem I was referring to has to do with Internet infrastructure, and is totally beyond your control - it would pertain to the software your ISP runs.

It would probably be better if you just ignored that part of my post - it's highly unlikely, and if it were the case, your ISP would have been flooded with support calls and probably patched the vulnerable software in short order.

Stick with the spyware scans - it's almost certainly your problem. Also, you should probably refrain from logging into any websites that contain/use sensitive information, such as your bank, paypal, ebay, etc. until you know your system is clean. If someone was able to get a trojan or whatever onto your machine to do the redirects, they could also be capturing keystrokes - not good.

Edit: Thought I was replying to the OP. There's info in there for both of you, I guess.
Thanks for the info, though. I'm always ready to learn a little more about this amazing/annoying box thing (computer)!!! That was good advice about not logging onto anything sensitive until the problem is solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2008, 08:32 PM
 
3,450 posts, read 3,720,551 times
Reputation: 4360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
Thanks for the info, though. I'm always ready to learn a little more about this amazing/annoying box thing (computer)!!! That was good advice about not logging onto anything sensitive until the problem is solved.
As others have said, run a good spyware cleaner. I use Spybot, Spyware Blaster and avast free anti-virus. I haven't had a problem with spyware or malware. Zone Alarm works well too.

I recommend booting it into safe mode, that way the programs files won't be loaded on boot up, otherwise you may need to re-run the cleaner after it's initial run.

FYI, Windows will look a little funky in safe mode.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:28 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top