U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 03:06 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,612,692 times

Advertisements

Verizon wireless GT 704 wg.
i tried to get in myself with the website juggler gave it wont even accept my own password. so cant see yet if it's secure. Guess i need to call (when I get an extra 2 hrs of my time to waste to be on hold then try to translate into english....)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 03:10 PM

1,189 posts, read 3,644,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoymonkey View Post
Verizon wireless GT 704 wg.
i tried to get in myself with the website juggler gave it wont even accept my own password. so cant see yet if it's secure. Guess i need to call (when I get an extra 2 hrs of my time to waste to be on hold then try to translate into english....)
By default the username/password is admin/password

If that fails, read your manual.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:40 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,612,692 times
Thanks for all the responses. I did see that the WEP is on, but coudn't find anything about WPA. If that's good enough, I'm ok with it. I dont want to mess anything up by touching buttons and passwords, done that too many times in the past.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:55 PM

588 posts, read 2,585,596 times
If you don't see any option to enable WPA, then you are likely stuck with WEP. Not the end of the world, and certainly much better than nothing.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:46 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,607,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Sounds like your wireless router is not secure. You're taking a big chance doing that. What if the neighbors do something that is against the rules of your ISP (spamming, sharing music/movies) and that gets you banned as a customer? You might lose your Internet connection and your phone or Cable TV permanently!
I don't secure mine and I have no problems. Occassionaly I see other people on it but I don't mind. If more people would leave their DSL open it would be easier for all of us to use our laptops in other places without having to pay.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:48 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,607,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
Also I have heard put the "Secured Encrypted" router in the center of the home if possible. On the local news several weeks ago they where talking about " Mobile Side Jacking" in the Orlando,FL area. The bad guys roam the streets after sun down with a lap top and a special program, when then hit a "OPEN NetworK" they down load everything coming out of that house for several minutes and move on to the next victim.... Not to scare you but it's out their.....
If you have your firewall enabled, nobody is going to get into your computer unless you let them in.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:38 AM

535 posts, read 1,573,881 times
I have mine setup not to broadcast the SSID and to also allow connections from set mac addresses. Once in a while I turn on the broadcast because then my neighbors call and say "hey, there is a new wireless network, can you get us the password?" Then I laugh and turn it off again.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:25 PM

359 posts, read 1,102,509 times
Wireless Encryption is a MUST to protect yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet