Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 07:35 PM

712 posts, read 2,145,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty3 View Post
Well, I don't have a laptop, it is a PC. If I test a friends cell phone (let's say it's a Verizon or a Sprint) and that phone CAN get a signal at this remote location, then does that mean I can add some kind of card or something to my PC and be able to get Internet access? (Sorry, I'm just not knowledgeable about computers and stuff....)
You have 2 choices really..

1. You can tether which is using a cellphone to hookup to a computer and share internet albeit it you can pay for that option or not.. (example my pocketpc phone for sprint they want me to pay for tethering.. but it comes with a windows application to share the internet to another device that they disabled somewhat and I repaired)

2. Buy a data card and or even a data card router.. as I talked about in a thread down below.. The data card in essence can be plugged into any pc/laptop and yes get internet (if it's 1xx = 56k equivalent internet, where as EVDO speed is more like DSL/Cable) or you can plug that data card into a router and share that internet wirelessly/ethernet wise.. technically though you can share the internet in option #1 that way too.. just more difficult to understand/real world do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 11:21 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
If you find a service that gets good cell reception contact their office and ask what solutions they have for a PC. They will know better than any of us what their particular company can provide.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:09 AM

712 posts, read 2,145,898 times
Actually they won't.. we are talking about cell phone companies here right??

all they will say is and this is true.. if you have signal you will have the internet..

Old 12-20-2008, 09:24 AM

If you have a good cell phone signal you will have Internet. It's coming from the same tower. What they will be able to tell the OP is what hardware they have that works in a computer for accessing the Internet over a cell connection.

My client that lives in the valley gets 3 bars on her cell phone and has a consistently good Internet connection. She has Sprint if that matters to the OP.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:42 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
We live in a rural area with no DSL access and Hughes, satellite, etc were either too expensive or just not worth the money for the connections speed.

So we lucked out and found a tiny mom and pop company called Plainsnet. It uses a radio signal. They are in different counties here, so maybe there is a parallel company in your area. Check them out. We are very happy with them and the speed is very fast with unlimited access. Welcome to Plainsnet.net! Holdenville, OK - Your Broadband Internet Service Provider

I hope that is not considered advertising. If so, then I can DM you the link.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:32 PM

Here we have a company called PrairieInet that does the same. People seem happy with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet