Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 05:56 PM

175 posts, read 1,485,862 times

Advertisements

Boy, I hope somebody has some ideas!! I am moving to a rural mountain community and am having a really tough time finding internet access.
There are a couple of satellite companies that 'may' work, but charge really high fees--like $60+ a month, plus $300 to install equipment. A friend of mine said there was some new technology that you can plug into your PC that allows you to have internet access in remote locations. Anyone know of something like this?
If not, what is the BEST way for me to find the cheapest option to get internet access out in 'the boonies'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 06:06 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Talk with your cell phone provider. Still pretty expensive on a monthly basis, but the initial cost should be lower. You can get a card to plug into your PC that will connect through the cell system. I have two clients that do this and it works well for them.l

Old 12-17-2008, 06:09 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,993,497 times
Yeah do what Tek Freek said. Don't even think about satellite unless you get absolutely no cellphone reception.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:17 PM

Well, this is a bit embarrassing, but my cell phone is one of those cheap Virgin mobile "pay-as-you-go" cellphones. It does NOT get service at this address. Neither did a friend of mine who had a 'normal' cell phone. However, drive up the hill just a little, and viola! Cell phone service! (well, at least on his...not mine until I got closer to town)

So now what should I do??

Old 12-17-2008, 06:42 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,993,497 times
Well I guess the determining factor now is do you have the cash for satellite and does it really mean that much to you compared to just having dial-up. Its a crap choice either way.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:06 PM

Could I assume that because my crappy phone couldn't get a signal at the property, that a 'good' phone couldn't either? In other words, if I could get a better cell phone that would get a signal there, does that mean I could get internet access? (Oh God, don't say 'dial-up'...it sends horrible shivers down my spine!)

Old 12-17-2008, 09:08 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Welcome to Hughesnet. We are in the same situation. The plus is that cellphones don't work out here and the minus is that not much else does either.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:54 PM

712 posts, read 2,146,152 times
Sounds like you have a provider on the GSM network.. you should check CDMA networks Verizon/Sprint/Alltel on top of their networks providing longer range I know for a fact you can also get external antenna's to connect up to e'm.. on the downside you’re looking at about $30 a month minimum but on the plus side if you tethered via your cellphone you could get cell + internet for low cost.. you can check there coverage maps on their websites or you can just get 1st hand accounts from this forum howardforums.com on your region..

Based on your description of the boonies.. I assume EVDO is out of the question so.. 1xx = about 56k internet (give or take) it has faster downloads but the ping times are higher 500 ms (not as bad as satellite 500-750 ms to space and then you have to come back down) where as 56k will have slower downloads but lower pings 150-200 ms

Your second best bet (and maybe your first) is to see what is in your local town even if it's not available to you.. because it is possible to shoot wireless signals about 10 miles for less than a $1k (I think) and be a part of your neighbors network.. (I do not claim to have done this.. I just think it's theoretically possible.. it just requires work/information/research and the right forum)

Old 12-18-2008, 11:41 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Cell tower location certainly matters, One of my clients has a lot in a valley and was a Verizon customer. Her office is in the basement and she had to leave her cell phone laying at the top of the stairs or it wouldn't ring. Her sister has Sprint and was getting a good signal in the basement. My client switched, got a card for her laptop and has a good Internet connection.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:03 PM

Well, I don't have a laptop, it is a PC. If I test a friends cell phone (let's say it's a Verizon or a Sprint) and that phone CAN get a signal at this remote location, then does that mean I can add some kind of card or something to my PC and be able to get Internet access? (Sorry, I'm just not knowledgeable about computers and stuff....)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet