U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2008, 05:19 PM

7,780 posts, read 13,613,765 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever had a problem with music ripped into iTunes being ripped too loud?

Remember when we used to record old vinyl LPs and you had to set the record volume for the cassette recording? Well, my iTunes music sounds like it's ripping to loud.

It's marginal and slower balads and soft songs (
Worthy is the Lamb )don't seem to be effected, but if it's something a little harder (
YouTube - Fireflight - Unbreakable ) , it's quite distorted.

Any iTunes experts out there?

It's a brand new install on a brand new computer and I just started ripping my collection today.

Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,896 posts, read 33,628,448 times
Just like converting a MS Word file to text doesn't change uppercase text to lowercase, ripping audio from one digital format to another shouldn't change the volume of audio files. Once they are ripped in iTunes, you can set it (and any iPods that download a specific file from iTunes) to always play the files at a lower volume level. Maybe you just need to set that volume for the newly ripped files?

Old 12-27-2008, 11:41 AM

7,780 posts, read 13,613,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Just like converting a MS Word file to text doesn't change uppercase text to lowercase, ripping audio from one digital format to another shouldn't change the volume of audio files. Once they are ripped in iTunes, you can set it (and any iPods that download a specific file from iTunes) to always play the files at a lower volume level. Maybe you just need to set that volume for the newly ripped files?
Thanks for the response.

It's not that the volume is too loud, it's that it 'appears' to ripped at a higher volume than necessary. All I know is that there is distortion in some of the rips (generally the faster and harder songs) and there isn't distortion in other rips (generally balads and slow songs). The distortion is there regardless of the volume I am listening.....it's in the rip and carries over into the playback.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:28 PM

6,022 posts, read 13,687,272 times
I seem to have the exact opposite problem: some of my music is too soft. usually it's the music that was ripped more than once that seem to have lost some volume

Old 01-04-2009, 12:22 AM

1,940 posts, read 8,303,235 times
i've had the "too soft" problem; it was a problem w/ my computer not having enough processing power and memory to do a smooth transfer. once i upgraded my CPU and added more RAM, I had no more problems.

Before the upgrade, I could re-sync the ipod and problem would go away on some songs but reappear on others.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:34 PM

8,415 posts, read 35,739,089 times
New computer - try reloading all your drivers and apple software.

Check for updates for system too.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:56 PM

1,097 posts, read 3,618,905 times
Or try different rippng software and see if you notice a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet