Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2009, 04:26 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,356,956 times

Advertisements

The new computer we have has Vista on it. I'm not thrilled with Vista, but I can tolerate it. The only problem is when I try to upload photos now, instead of allowing me to choose the ones I want to upload and letting me put them in the files I choose, it just does a mass upload into a single dated file.

Is there any way to go back to the XP way to upload or am I stuck spending my weekends moving pictures around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 05:37 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,919,106 times
By "upload" I'm guessing you mean from your camera to your computer (and not from your computer to a photo-storing website)?

I have a couple of different photo programs on my computer, and one of them, which decided to be the default, does exactly what you describe -- sends mass photos to folders labeled with a date which are useless for me.

To avoid that I use Windows Explorer to access my camera and pick-n-choose what I want, and copy to whatever folder I want. But I don't know if Vista allows that?

Old 01-20-2009, 01:05 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,985,501 times
Of course Vista allows that. At some point the OP clicked on a dialogue box that authorized a program to automatically download pictures whenever a digital camera is connected. This may have been something that popped up when the camera was first connected, or it may have been while installing the software itself. Whatever program that is, open it when the camera is not connected, go to preferences, and uncheck that selection. It sounds like it might be Adobe Photo Downloader, but there are others that do the same thing. This is not something that Vista automatically does.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:28 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,356,956 times
Ok, cool. So I can get out of it then and go back to the old way.

How do I find what program that is when the camera isn't connected? I'm not good with computers - I can do the basic web search / e-mail / etc, but when it comes to the other stuff, I'm a blonde.

No offense to blondes....

Old 01-21-2009, 06:08 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,919,106 times
I'm not highly computer-savvy, but if you can find a photo in your computer and right click on it, a choice in the drop-down list should be "Open With". When you choose that, a list of photo programs should appear, and you can pick whichever program you'd prefer. I'm not certain if doing so changes the default or whether it's just a one-time choice, but give that a try.

I have XP and I know nothing about how to work with Vista. But with XP and when I connect some device to my machine and it starts doing something I don't want it to do, I use Task Manager and My Computer to halt and change. I don't have a clue how to do that with Vista.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:42 AM

I'm not at my Vista computer right now - I'll confirm later. Any time you right click a file you have the option to "Open With" and that opens a dialog box that allows you to select a program. You can select "always use this program" when doing this to reset the default program for that file type. This may not help you with uploading, because what is triggering that program is the computer detecting a device containing photos being plugged into the USB. Somewhere in control panel is a 'default programs' or 'file types' preference you can use to change what happens when you plug in the camera. The easier thing to do might be to plug in the camera and see what happens - what file comes up. Then open that program, go to preferences or options, and deselect the option for it to start uploading automatically when photos are detected.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:06 PM

For Vista, go to Control Panel, then click "Hardware and Sound." Click "AutoPlay" and you will be able to select the default action your computer takes when a device is inserted. You will probably be able to see your camera under "devices," and select a default action for it. To move files using Windows, select "Open Folder to View Files," "Import Pictures using Windows," or "Do Nothing." If you select "do nothing," the computer won't react when you connect the camera. You will have to go to My Computer and select the camera, which will be listed with the other devices such as your hard drive. Obviously, if you select "open folder to view files" that's exactly what will happen.

Once you do this, make note of what program Windows was using to deal with your pictures. I would go to that program and look at the preference settings to make sure it isn't going to take over this process next time you plug the camera back in. If it's not something you use for anything else, you're probably okay to uninstall it.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:19 PM

2 posts, read 7,823 times
Naptowner - I have a similar issue, but I need to change the destination folder for where my pictures GO when I plug in my memory card. Currently the pictures are all going to a folder and I have no choice to change the folder in AutoPlay options. HELP!!! I would like to organize my photos a little better.... I Miss my XP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet