U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 05:59 PM

28,607 posts, read 40,588,688 times

Advertisements

I've been out doing research on this. Found a set of reviews at PC Magazine. I don't have a date for the reviews, but since the program versions are 2009 it has to be recent. I will admit that this is one Hell of a surprise!!!!!

PC Magazine

To top it off the reviewer is going to install it on his PC because he so impressed. Scroll down on the page.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2333448,00.asp

Guess I'll be looking into Norton again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,354 times
Default StopZilla NNNNNNNNNoooooooooooo

DO NOT Buy Stopzilla, I just went through a long process to get rid of it!!

Take a Look at Vipre. [url]www.sunbelt-software.com[/url]
I recommend you get Vipre (anti-spyware / anti-virus)
and the Personal firewall.

If you are running any of the old tech Anti-virus ie. Mcafee, Norton, Kaspersky etc
and old tech spyware. Your going to be amazed at how fast your System boots and
with Vipre.

Note: I noticed one of the posts that implied, anti-virus and anti-spyware were one in the same. They are Not. They use different methods of searching for their intended target.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:46 AM

12 posts, read 25,966 times
Default Re: AVG or Stopzilla?

Hi,
Obviously AVG is best but it decreases the speed of your pc.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:00 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,075,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
How much overhead does Avast use? We are using Trend Micro due to a number of reasons and lately (I think an update is to fault) it's been as bad as Symantec. So now we are looking for something new. I like ZA (still on the main desktop) but they consistently force a new subscription at least a month early. If they didn't do that I'd stay with them, but I won't be ripped off that way.

I just got an offer for Comodo, but I got in on a beta of that and it sucked! I wonder if it's any better now...
Sorry, guess I missed your question about Avast.

According to Task Manager>Processes, it shows several entries.
ashDisp.exe 1976k
ashServ.exe 1248k
ashWebSv.exe 10,600k
ashMaiSv.exe 688k

Some of these may vary slightly, but the current total is ~ 14,512k

Old 03-14-2010, 07:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,826 times
I have installed STOPzilla from 3 days and is blocking a lot of useful content. And i have no option to allow. I will try Vipre.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:12 PM

5,203 posts, read 8,204,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devid View Post
Hi,
Obviously AVG is best but it decreases the speed of your pc.

I use AVG Free 9.0. While overall, it seems to do a good job, and provides regular updates, it does indeed decrease the speed of the PC. It seems like each time it updates, it takes a bit longer when it's running a scan. It scans for nearly 13 hours each time, which seems pretty excessive to me. When I first started using it, it would run for around 3 hours or so. Now when I'm online, things can come to a complete standstill for a couple of minutes a little too frequent until it's completely finished scanning.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:05 AM

28,607 posts, read 40,588,688 times
Another thread resurrected from the grave.

This time it's at least an interesting one!

I did notice that my posts in this one shows my surprise at the results in reviews of Norton (NIS) and the crossover from my old opinion of it and the new.

My opinion hasn't changed. I still use it on all our computers and a lot of clients. No complaints except for a dentist running a program called Dentrix. Norton and Dentrix are like oil and water.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:01 PM

8,370 posts, read 7,571,607 times
Don't get AVG in the meantime. The most recent versions are buggy. It has compatability problems with ZoneAlarm and brings your browser down to a crawl.

I switched over to Microsoft Security Essentials which is free.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:09 PM

3,651 posts, read 8,373,430 times
I have last version of AVG before 9 and don't notice much of a speed decrease. I had zonealarm also but that gave me MAJOR problems where browsers wouldn't work and only a reboot would solve. Switched to spybot and no problems.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:16 PM

8,370 posts, read 7,571,607 times
AVG 9.0 seems to be having problems with older XP systems.

AVG Forums - Windows XP Hangs On Boot After Latest AVG 9 Upgrade

I removed ZoneAlarm and put up the Norton firewall, and still had the performance problems. I removed AVG and everything ran fine. I went back to ZoneAlarm and added MSE as antivirus. I'm looking at Norton, which is available for free from ISP, but I've heard that firewall is slow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or