Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 08:13 AM

267 posts, read 1,176,517 times

Advertisements

Which free antivirus should I install- AVG or Stopzilla? Is one better than the other? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 06:13 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Sorry nobody has answered you - I have AVG which I read all great reviews about. Haven't heard of Stopzilla so I can't help there.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:25 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
I did a search on Stopzilla and found this. I am confused because it looks like Stopzilla is a pop-up blocker, not an anti-virus prog.

Stopzilla 3.0 Internet security and firewall reviews - CNET Reviews

Another review of a newer version.

STOPZilla 5.0 Review (http://www.adwarereport.com/mt/archives/stopzilla_review.php - broken link)

Use AVG.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:16 AM

267 posts, read 1,176,517 times
Oh! Thanks. I will stick with AVG then for anti-virus. I assume a good antivirus is also a pop-up blocker? Or do I still need one? Sorry, I'm not very tech savvy. It's just that my laptop is so slow. I don't seem to have too many pop-up's though. Usually I get "firefox has blocked this popup window" and I can decide to allow pop-ups from sites I know are legit.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:45 AM

FF has a pop-up blocker. In FF Tools/Options/Content top check box

Old 01-24-2009, 06:52 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times
That may be a default for FF, since I've never set it that way. Maybe I'll uncheck it to see what happens, once my weekend starts.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:57 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times
I have avira because AVG was making my machine so slow. Possibly you need to clear out your machine and reload it again to speed it up. I do this every so often and it always helps enormously!

I think all the av checkers take up a lot of computer processing when they do their bit. Nowadays with larger disk drives, they have to run for longer which makes it even more incconvenient. Maybe just run them overnight perhaps?

Old 02-05-2009, 07:34 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times
I use Avast which is not bad as a combination firewall/AV. Updates are automatic. It has VRDB. Here is a snippet of what that is:

VRDB - Virus Recovery Database
...VRDB PRINCIPLE
avast! creates an integrity database, i.e. it stores information about the actual state of the files, doing it three versions back for each file. The database creation/maintenance is performed either when the computer is idle, or when the screen-saver is running (any screen-saver, not only the avast! one). This database, once it is created, is updated each three weeks (this value may be changed by editing avast4.ini).
If a file is infected by a virus, it may be possible to repair it using the information stored in VRDB, i.e. turn it to its original state...

Another guy told me he preferred Comodo, also a free, combination AV/FW. That is one I'm not familiar with but it sounds OK.,

I've been using Threatfire along with Avast.

I also run CCleaner and SuperAntiSpyware periodically. CCleaner clears out a lot of deadwood -- temp files, cookies, some of which could have adware and so forth.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:09 AM

260 posts, read 909,124 times
I got a full version for a year from zonealarm for signing up for a trial of game site. Just remember to cancel it before 2 weeks. Google trialpay.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I use Avast which is not bad as a combination firewall/AV. Updates are automatic. It has VRDB. Here is a snippet of what that is:

VRDB - Virus Recovery Database
...VRDB PRINCIPLE
avast! creates an integrity database, i.e. it stores information about the actual state of the files, doing it three versions back for each file. The database creation/maintenance is performed either when the computer is idle, or when the screen-saver is running (any screen-saver, not only the avast! one). This database, once it is created, is updated each three weeks (this value may be changed by editing avast4.ini).
If a file is infected by a virus, it may be possible to repair it using the information stored in VRDB, i.e. turn it to its original state...

Another guy told me he preferred Comodo, also a free, combination AV/FW. That is one I'm not familiar with but it sounds OK.,

I've been using Threatfire along with Avast.

I also run CCleaner and SuperAntiSpyware periodically. CCleaner clears out a lot of deadwood -- temp files, cookies, some of which could have adware and so forth.
How much overhead does Avast use? We are using Trend Micro due to a number of reasons and lately (I think an update is to fault) it's been as bad as Symantec. So now we are looking for something new. I like ZA (still on the main desktop) but they consistently force a new subscription at least a month early. If they didn't do that I'd stay with them, but I won't be ripped off that way.

I just got an offer for Comodo, but I got in on a beta of that and it sucked! I wonder if it's any better now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet