Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2009, 11:59 AM

37 posts, read 74,827 times

Advertisements

I spoke to my brother who called me saying his 12 year old @aol.com email was terminated because he sent a 'mass' email. He wouldn't know how to do this and I know for a fact he only uses this address to communicate with friends and to speak with potential clients for his small business (he has used this address since the beginning and everyone knows it since he has it on business cards, shirts, etc) Well anyway - I warned people years ago to change to something else like gmail or your own domain, he didn't. This is the second time in the past week I know of this happening (also to a friend of mine who is a housewife). Whether or not it was hacked is not in question - it is the way aol just removes you! They will not let you appeal through email or on the phone - you have to snail mail them a letter and hope for the best....

These people lost all of their emails and address books! Do it now, go to gmail.com and sign up for a free email....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 11:16 PM

119 posts, read 451,828 times
Question: Why would anyone still continue to use AOL as an email provider? Lets just let them roll down hill. and I sure hope noone still pays for them.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:21 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,028,490 times
Because some of us are too lazy to bother to change our email address after we stopped paying them for internet services.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:46 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvysyngr View Post
I spoke to my brother who called me saying his 12 year old @aol.com email was terminated because he sent a 'mass' email. He wouldn't know how to do this
Unlikely but his computer may be infected with something or his account got hacked...

gmail is no solution either as the same thing could happen. The only way way to get a permanent email address is by getting a domain. Haven't looked i a while but you can get the domain registered with email forwarding for about $10 a year.

You give the email address you@your_domain.com to people which will get forwarded to you@your_isp.com. If you change ISP providers you only have to change what address it gets forwarded eg: you@other_ISP.com Of course if you get hosting with the domain you can just use that with no need to forward anything. Providing you keep the registration up on the domain it will be yours forever.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:57 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,139,545 times
call aol and explain that it was a mistake. they will give it back. you are allowed to send out emails to 40 people every 5 minutes.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:32 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
Although this doesn't help someone whose address book has already been hacked, but a helpful hint for the future ...

I have two types of "alerts" in my address book that will tell me if my address book has been compromised. First, I have a totally bogus email address in there that will send back a mailer daemon; and second, I have a valid email address for myself that I never use for anything, so if activity starts on that account, I'll know something is haywire somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet