Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 01:58 PM

175 posts, read 1,482,383 times

Advertisements

Please help---I am computer illiterate! I currently have AT&T high speed DSL internet service. I am moving to a rural area, and apparently all that is available to give me internet, is Verizon Broadband (?). I tried to do an online chat with a Verizon operator, and this is what she said. "Buy an Aircard or Modem or Tether from a Verizon handset that has that feature" Whaa?? Can someone translate that to English please?

I have a regular old PC (not a laptop) and just want to have internet service. I already have a modem from AT&T. I assume it's mine to keep, right? Can I use that modem? What is an Aircard and what is a Tether, and why is this so friggin' complicated??

Does this mean I have to have a land-line phone too? I was thinking of just getting a cell-phone and having NO land-line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 02:02 PM

10,924 posts, read 21,890,521 times
If ATT dsl isn't available at your new location than no, you can't use it. Have you researched what other internet services are in the area othr than ATT? Verizon broadband can be a few different things, DSL, fiber, etc. You need to find out exactly whats available and from whom.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:25 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,518,882 times
I am assuming from your post that you have Verizon cell phone service.

Go here:

New Cell Phones, CPO Cell Phones, Prepaid Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans - Verizon Wireless

At the top left on the menu bar hover over Phones and Accessories with the cursor. When the menu drops down click on Mobile Broadband Devices and put your zip code in the box on the next page.

This will take you a page of devices you can use to connect to the Internet through the Verizon cell system. These plug into your PC or laptop depending on what you have.

You can also visit a Verizon store and they will help you with it.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:23 PM

175 posts, read 1,482,383 times
No, I don't have Verizon cell phone service! Someone who lives in this rural neighborhood said THEY use a Verizon wireless card to access the internet.
I guess it doesn't have to be Verizon, unless that is the ONLY thing available to get the Internet. I'm wondering how I find out exactly WHAT companies offer internet service?

Or, let's say the only one IS Verizon. What is a Tether? And if somehow I can access the Internet with a modem (plugging it into a land-line phone jack right?), why wouldn't I be able to use the modem I have now? Is it At&T's property? In other words, does my current modem only work if I have AT&T DSL service???

Old 03-15-2009, 04:47 PM

5,463 posts, read 9,598,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty3 View Post
No, I don't have Verizon cell phone service! Someone who lives in this rural neighborhood said THEY use a Verizon wireless card to access the internet.
I guess it doesn't have to be Verizon, unless that is the ONLY thing available to get the Internet. I'm wondering how I find out exactly WHAT companies offer internet service?

Or, let's say the only one IS Verizon. What is a Tether? And if somehow I can access the Internet with a modem (plugging it into a land-line phone jack right?), why wouldn't I be able to use the modem I have now? Is it At&T's property? In other words, does my current modem only work if I have AT&T DSL service???

Regarding tethering, this might help a little. In effect, it's connecting your non-mobile computer to a cellular phone for wireless Internet access.
Tethering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you're using AT&T and like their service, give them a call, tell them where you plan to move and that you'd like to continue using their broadband service, and ask if their service is available at the new location. That will at least give you better idea of what decision you should consider next.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:56 PM

712 posts, read 2,140,925 times
dslreports.com has a broadband tester thing to let you know if you have service in you area.. I'm not going to say it works well but you can give it a try..

Everywhere you go as long as you have cell signal.. there are cdma/gsm networks both of these provide internet.. though not very fast.. (basically cell phones use a digital network.. which can also be used for net)

The good networks to get on our 3g.. my understanding is AT&T barely has it anywhere so if you’re not in a major city.. you likely won't have it.. EVDO provided by verizon/alltel and sprint seems to be just about everywhere these days.. if you go sprint you'll roam off alltel (usually in the boonies) and verizon's owns alltel so that's a given..

Verizon and sprint and alltel have coverage maps you can check.. and there are other options like putting it into a router rather than a laptop/desktop only computer..

That's enough base information now.. I suggest you read up.. you can also check dslreports.com specific forum for your internet provider.. or howardforums.com for cell phone providers (they don't focus specifically on internet)

Old 03-15-2009, 06:16 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,132,638 times
Quote:
I already have a modem from AT&T. I assume it's mine to keep, right? Can I use that modem?

NO, I can't imagine the AT&T modem is yours to keep unless you stick with AT&T. If not, you would probably have to return it or else you could be charged for it.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:26 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,518,882 times
Quote:
Please help---I am computer illiterate! I currently have AT&T high speed DSL internet service. I am moving to a rural area, and apparently all that is available to give me internet, is Verizon Broadband (?). I tried to do an online chat with a Verizon operator, and this is what she said. "Buy an Aircard or Modem or Tether from a Verizon handset that has that feature"Whaa?? Can someone translate that to English please?

I have a regular old PC (not a laptop) and just want to have internet service. I already have a modem from AT&T. I assume it's mine to keep, right? Can I use that modem? What is an Aircard and what is a Tether, and why is this so friggin' complicated??

Does this mean I have to have a land-line phone too? I was thinking of just getting a cell-phone and having NO land-line.
Quote:

Confusing. Did AT&T tell you to get Verizon or did someone in the neighborhood?

Most cell phone carriers offer a way to access the Internet over their cell system. The easiest way to determine which is available in your area is to either look it up on the Internet or just call each one.

What carrier are you currently using for cell phone service?

You can't get DSL using the modem you have if the service is not available in your area. It is more than just a standard phone connection. It requires specific equipment to be within a certain distance from your house. If the equipment isn't there, there is no DSL.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:04 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,433,126 times
Quote:
"Buy an Aircard or Modem or Tether from a Verizon handset that has that feature" Whaa?? Can someone translate that to English please?
That is cellular service, either through a cell phone, or through a modem that connects to their cellular network.

Most of these services have or are implementing a monthly cap on the amount of data that can be transferred each month. Advantage, it in your laptop, it is portable to anywhere their cell network provides the service, you are not limited to 'only while home' connectivity. If you don't download a lot, watch a lot of streaming video or other bandwidth intensive activities, combined with the portability it might be a good fit for your needs.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:09 PM

5,463 posts, read 9,598,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
NO, I can't imagine the AT&T modem is yours to keep unless you stick with AT&T. If not, you would probably have to return it or else you could be charged for it.

It may depend on the service provider. I'm not sure what options AT&T offers, but I use Qwest, and the option for the modem was I could either 'rent' it for a monthly fee, or I could buy it outright. With the agreement I have it was cheaper in the long run to buy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet