Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2009, 03:10 PM

25,915 posts, read 24,579,369 times

Advertisements

Odd, does it have to do with my location or is anybody else unable to log into both Yahoo and MSN messengers? Nor can I log into my Hotmail account. Skype works, unfortunately I don't have any friends there, I use it only for work
Yahoo has been very slow for weeks and sometimes offline messages don't get delivered anymore.
Is there any reliable messenger left out there?

Even CD is very slow today, maybe the entire Internet is ill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 05:04 PM

10,923 posts, read 21,878,838 times
No problems with Yahoo, Hotmail or web speed for me. When did you do your last malware/virus scan?

Old 04-13-2009, 05:50 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,936,007 times
If yahoo and msn mssngr are failing at work, are you sure that it's not to do with your work's IT policy? Have you contacted your technology department regarding this? If your IT departmnt isn't blocking IM and you're experiencing issues with both yahoo and msn messenger, you are most likely infected. I'd scan with spybot, adware and antivirus software.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:03 AM

Thanks, both messengers are OK today, and download speed is back to normal (actually, much more than normal, 74mbps , maybe my ISP made some changes, I only pay for 4mbps ).

@mossomo
I am a freelancer, I work from home, my own IT policy forces me to use IM

Old 04-14-2009, 06:34 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,920,246 times
On the occasions when my 'net experience is bogged down, I use tracert to see if it's my machine or the web. I go to the command line and type in tracert www.{fill in the blank with a domain}.com, and I watch the journey to see if there's a delay someplace along the way. For example, at times it takes forever for city-data forums to load, and I wonder if it's me or my ISP or C-D. I'll do a tracert to C-D and usually it's a bunch of quick hops to their server which tells me my machine doesn't have a problem, that it's something going on with C-D's server. Other times it's a problem with my ISP (Comcast) and the initial hops take more time than they should. Nothing I can do of course to fix it, but at least I have the knowledge of the problem.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:11 AM

Cool, I did not know about that tracert thingy Funny to see, which routes those data go, without any passport or visa

No matter which site I try, the second line always says 'request timed-out' or something like that (my Windows is in German, see screenshot, I will log on anew and thus get a new IP number now, just in case any evil reader wants to do something nasty with my current IP number ), with aol.com there was like a dozen such lines

Old 04-14-2009, 01:48 PM

Looking at your screenshot, your first hop took a little bit of a long time (99 milliseconds) - not exactly out of the ordinary, but still a little long. It's ok to get an occasional 'request timed out' as long as it doesn't continue hop after hop after hop.

You'll notice in your screenshot that there's a number of IP addresses. Trying pinging one of them, perhaps even the first one, and see if all packets go and return without parts missing.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:21 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,498,749 times
I have received several emails from register.com alerting me to the fact that they have been experiencing DOS (Denial Of Service) attacks for a few days. I wonder if it's more widespread that that?

Old 04-14-2009, 02:49 PM

Hm, you mean like during the Georgia war when the Russians started their DOS attacks? My brother lives in Germany and has also told me that he can hardly use the Internet anymore. He first thought it was a virus or a router problem, but it wasn't.

@mawipafl

Hop after hop, well, look at the AOL time-outs Maybe it has to do with their geo blocking strategy, I have no idea.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I have received several emails from register.com alerting me to the fact that they have been experiencing DOS (Denial Of Service) attacks for a few days. I wonder if it's more widespread that that?
Quite interesting! I've had some oddities over the past couple of days but had just labeled them as typical 'net hiccups .. um, maybe not so typical. Will have to wait and see about today's 'net surfing.

Neuling -- I guess I've just learned some German ... Zeituberschreitung der Anforderung ... easily I got the message that your bunny got tired of hopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet