U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2009, 06:35 AM

4,250 posts, read 12,833,731 times

Advertisements

I attempted to access my Tax Collector's website to look at my real estate tax bill, and I couldn't access the site. I got this message:

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
See if your Internet connection settings are being detected. You can set Microsoft Windows to examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings (if your network administrator has enabled this setting).
Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
On the Connections tab, click LAN Settings.
Select Automatically detect settings, and then click OK.
Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer

Believing it was a problem for the site's webmaster to fix, I contacted her and she replied that after testing there was no problem on her end - which is true because I had a friend try the site and she got in with no issues.

I don't know where to begin to figure out why my computer fibs to me and tells me the page is unavailable when it really is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 10:27 AM

Default Update

I discovered the problem is with IE6. Any computer with IE7 or higher can access, but not with IE6. So, that's my conclusion and obviously the remedy is to upgrade IE. I know the webmaster had to do some tweaking to allow IE8, and when that was done I think something went floosy with IE6. (I know - some of you will be saying dump IE altogether for a better browser, but sometimes you can't teach an old dog new tricks :-) Heck it took a million years for me to go from Win95 to XP and from dialup to DSL.)

PS I just wish my computer wouldn't fib and say the page in unavailable when in fact the page IS available and it's a problem with my dinosaur.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:53 AM

28,673 posts, read 40,858,191 times
Your computer isn't fibbing IE6 is. All it knows it that it can't get to the page and hands out a generic {pizza} message.

What was that?

Old 06-12-2009, 12:19 PM

18,760 posts, read 55,917,906 times
"I know - some of you will be saying dump IE altogether for a better browser, but sometimes you can't teach an old dog new tricks."

Unfortunately, when dealing with the web, not learning new tricks isn't an option. I've got a computer where IE won't connect to the net at all, the older version of Opera will connect easily, but won't display half of the newer pages properly due to changes in the software that sites present.

I've been fairly informed and lucky so far, but I'm now seriously considering the old time sneakernet security, where one computer is used to browse the web but contains no serious data, and anything I have to download for home use gets moved off via a CD. The combination of more aggressive programming of websites, and the increase in sophisticated hacks designed to push spam are about to overwhelm a lot of security. I've got a friend with AVG, a firewall, and the usual malwarebytes and spybot, and his computer now has voice ads coming at him, even when he isn't connected to the net. His datafiles are up-to-date and still no joy.

IMO, a lot of site managers are being foolish in their move away from traditional presentations into more and more occluded software aps. That tax collector site seems to fit the description.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
"I know - some of you will be saying dump IE altogether for a better browser, but sometimes you can't teach an old dog new tricks."

Unfortunately, when dealing with the web, not learning new tricks isn't an option.
You are so right harry chickpea. I reluctantly but willingly agree (this old dog says with a sigh).

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
IMO, a lot of site managers are being foolish in their move away from traditional presentations into more and more occluded software aps. That tax collector site seems to fit the description.
My opinion as well. Sometimes a webmaster's sole purpose of getting information onto the web becomes bogged down with over glitz that requires the absolute latest and greatest of apps upgrades and installs. Seriously, when all I want to do is view my tax bill, I shouldn't have to go through a series of installs, upgrades, what-have-you, and sort through all the pretty pictures and watch videos, nor should I have to take care where I place my cursor so that all these crazy dropdown menus won't fade in and fade out. Please just let me click, click, click and there's my bill.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:34 PM

28,673 posts, read 40,858,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
You are so right harry chickpea. I reluctantly but willingly agree (this old dog says with a sigh).

My opinion as well. Sometimes a webmaster's sole purpose of getting information onto the web becomes bogged down with over glitz that requires the absolute latest and greatest of apps upgrades and installs. Seriously, when all I want to do is view my tax bill, I shouldn't have to go through a series of installs, upgrades, what-have-you, and sort through all the pretty pictures and watch videos, nor should I have to take care where I place my cursor so that all these crazy dropdown menus won't fade in and fade out. Please just let me click, click, click and there's my bill.
My biggest peeve on web sites, and the quickest way to get me to leave. Some of these folks forget that no matter what they're selling or presenting there are dozens more just like them. I'll find one that doesn't have all that garbage on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or