U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2009, 03:56 AM

10,463 posts, read 10,229,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Danah Boyd said Facebook's arrival sparked a migration from MySpace of white users, the educated and the wealthy, while non-whites had stuck together on MySpace.
Facebook 'sparked white flight from MySpace' | News | News.com.au

I think the FBI should investigate -- this could potentially be some sort of hate crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 08:20 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,915 posts, read 33,654,023 times
I read this article before you posted it. I've never used or spent much time on MySpace, but IMO, the first few comments did a better job of refuting it than I could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I think the FBI should investigate -- this could potentially be some sort of hate crime.
Could you elaborate on how choosing to leave one social networking site for another qualifies as a hate crime?

I've left behind other message boards because I prefer City-Data. Could that be a hate crime, too?

Old 07-04-2009, 01:03 PM

1,597 posts, read 1,691,121 times
Oh....whatEVER!

I'm white - had MySpace and got rid of it, but I did NOT migrate to Facebook and I will not migrate to Facebook because I do not want to be on Facebook.

Perhaps it's a hate crime to not belong to any social network...?????? Gimme a break.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:29 PM

1,189 posts, read 3,646,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Facebook 'sparked white flight from MySpace' | News | News.com.au

Hah!

I hope no one paid this person for this reality shattering information.

The reason for the demographic differences between those two websites lies in their initial marketing. Facebook was originally for college kids only. No *.edu address, no facebook account. Then, to many folk's dismay, they opened the floodgates to gain market share. Even with all the newbies it is still predominately college folks due to people wanting to be on the same website as their friends. Rather strict visual format, easy to navigate, does not bring your quad core 3.0ghz 8GB RAM computer to a screeching halt.

Myspace was always the social network for the unwashed masses. The Geocities 2.0 (if anyone remembers geocities from circa 1997-2005ish you know what I mean) Where anyone can vomit up their own little visual/audial abortion for everyone to gaze upon in embarrassment and shame. Terrible music and worse color schemes. There are no less than ten 14yr old girl's myspace accounts that can bring an NSA super computer to its knees. Made up mostly of high school kids and local bands which have some symbiotic relationship anyways.

Where's my grant money?

Old 07-17-2009, 12:19 PM

22,377 posts, read 19,845,866 times
I find it funnier when for instance white people get accounts on, say, African-American or Asian-American networks, or atheists on Muslim networks

Old 07-17-2009, 10:51 PM

122 posts, read 401,438 times
White flight? Hardly. More like adult flight. Chaos/anarchy/whatever vs organization.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:54 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 22,203,307 times
Several times I have had a warning from my virus protection while posting on Facebook. Sometimes I cannot go there, because I am warned that my computer could possibly stop working if I stay on the website. My computer has a lot of space for information, so I have no idea what is going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or