U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 07:50 AM

969 posts, read 2,543,062 times

Advertisements

I am getting a notebook computer that is wireless capable. I understand I now need a "wireless router". This will be used at home - only one user.

Suggestions appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 07:15 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,265,774 times
Netgear, D-Link, what is on sale

If you go to a retail store they will probably push the new 'n' standard. Unless your new laptop is 'n' only (doubtful) you don't need it, and will not gain anything by spending the extra $$ ('n' routers are more $$)

They will tell you about the extended range and the speed, but it's all useless if you can't use it. Your broadband will be somewhere between 756K to 10 or 12M, which the 'g' standard will handle fine. (there is no benefit to a wireless connection that is faster than your internet connection)

Old 08-06-2009, 01:44 AM

905 posts, read 2,163,496 times
Linksys! They are great routers.

Get a WRT54 and install DD-WRT, you'll be very grateful you did.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:36 AM

Thanks so much for the information - I don't speak "wireless" so your advice is very helpful

Old 08-06-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectedMushroom View Post
Linksys! They are great routers.

Get a WRT54 and install DD-WRT, you'll be very grateful you did.
DD-WRT is the best solution for many different routers, but for a novice (new) I did not recommend it as their first task doesn't need to involve installing it, even though fairly simple.

Linksys? meh! not so much, at least a stock model. I've owned 3 different, and yet to find one that I considered reliable. The best one locked up every 3 - 4 weeks, the worst every 3 - 4 days. Only option was to power cycle the router.

By locked up, I could not even ping the router from wired computer, but the wireless and switch portion worked as I could still connect between my computers. Indicates to me that the IOS (firmware) code had crashed.

DD-WRT did fix that.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
DD-WRT is the best solution for many different routers, but for a novice (new) I did not recommend it as their first task doesn't need to involve installing it, even though fairly simple.

Linksys? meh! not so much, at least a stock model. I've owned 3 different, and yet to find one that I considered reliable. The best one locked up every 3 - 4 weeks, the worst every 3 - 4 days. Only option was to power cycle the router.

By locked up, I could not even ping the router from wired computer, but the wireless and switch portion worked as I could still connect between my computers. Indicates to me that the IOS (firmware) code had crashed.

DD-WRT did fix that.
All of this is so technical (to me) - is the following link accurate and if so - any idea where I could find directions a non-technical person can understand?
How to install DD-WRT on Linksys WRT54GL Wireless Router « Technical How To’s

Old 08-06-2009, 08:04 PM

10,753 posts, read 18,007,151 times
That's pretty much it... for that router. If you get a WRT54G2, it's an entirely different procedure that's irreversable, immediate voiding of the warranty. Personally I'd just find one you can afford and stick with the stock firmware. Just setup WPA2 encryption and change the default router interface password, then take your time and research DD-WRT here.

Main Page - DD-WRT Wiki

Old 08-06-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
All of this is so technical (to me) - is the following link accurate and if so - any idea where I could find directions a non-technical person can understand?
How to install DD-WRT on Linksys WRT54GL Wireless Router « Technical How To’s
That's why I don't recommend it for the novice or non-technical person. You might want to go to the link provided by NHDave and look at the models that will support DD-WRT, then later when you are comfortable with your router, configuring it, etc. installing DD-WRT will be an option for you.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:48 AM

Thanks again - seems like all this lingo should have been translated to regular ABC by now.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:37 PM

13,481 posts, read 25,857,588 times
I have a Netgear and it's problem free. I had a used one, and when I died I bought a Linksys. I couldn't get it installed, customer was in China, and didn't know anything. I took it back, bought another Netgear, and installed it myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet