Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2009, 08:35 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I have recently discovered that I can buy second hand merchandise for cheap, cheap, cheap on Craig's List.

I just made a successful purchase of a tiny little tv from a lady in a nearby town.

However, I realized that when I use my regular email address, it shows my full name.

I got to thinking that this was probably not a good idea for privacy reasons.

So I decided to set up a separate Yahoo account to use for this sort of thing.

Unfortunately, I went through the whole process with Yahoo, signed in, saw that I had a couple emails (Probably welcome emails or whatever), and when I tried to click on the email, it brings up another password screen, which doesn't accept my password. I keep repeatedly trying to enter the password but the screen just keeps coming up anyway.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this has something to do with cookies, because there was a fleeting screen that mentioned something about enabling cookies---which I did for that site, but I still cannot sign in.

I am so annoyed, I want to contact someone about another TV on Craigs List, and I have just spent 1/2 hour trying to make the Yahoo account!(And it just occurred to me that I had to enter my name on the yahoo account, and when I send an email they may show my name, too ---so not even sure where I am getting myself here!!!)

Do I even need to bother with another email account? Am I paranoid to not want people on Craig's List knowing my actual name--I don't have a problem with them knowing my name if I talk to them and agree to buy the item---but I'd rather not have my name exposed to people who may not even have the item for sale anymore, kwim? Should I use an email specifically for this purpose?

Thanks for any insight anyone can provide on these questions!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 10:34 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,929,954 times
You should be able to change the From name for your Yahoo email.

Login, click on Options (for me it is at the far right), select Mail Options. Change the "From" name.

That should change the name they see when Yahoo sends an email from your address. You can test it on yourself with a different email address or a friend.

No you are not paranoid, you are smart.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:07 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
You should be able to change the From name for your Yahoo email.

Login, click on Options (for me it is at the far right), select Mail Options. Change the "From" name.

That should change the name they see when Yahoo sends an email from your address. You can test it on yourself with a different email address or a friend.

No you are not paranoid, you are smart.
thanks, I didn't even think of changing the way my name appears.

I did end up creating another hotmail account, where I just put initials in the First and Last name fields. I don't know what was up with Yahoo but I still can't get into that account. So, I'll stick with the hotmail one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet