U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 11:25 PM

9,794 posts, read 18,745,886 times

Advertisements

Msn has it set up where msntv users can save their emails, favorites & pictures on outlook & skydrive.com after msntv closes down. I can get to outlook & skydrive through a pc such as one @ the library. I havent cleaned out my mailboxes or favotites in yrs so i will do everything next month. My last bill i will receive will be next month (8.10) so ill get 3 weeks free service in sept. As of now im leaning more toward no internet service for awhile + ill have a xtra 22.00 month. I may change my mind if i could get a good used laptop at a good price. Time will tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 07:06 AM

2,763 posts, read 3,060,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
I don't understand why anyone who has MSNTV2 service right now wouldn't just cancel the service now since they know it will be gone forever in 2 months

And yes laptops do have a dial up phone jack
I would check this before buying one. Some may not.

Quote:
Dial Up should not be used for internet access in 2013.
While I agree, people can/will tolerate a lot when funds are limited or 'value' is not seen. Dial-up restricts range of use and extends session duration, which mask the 'value'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
I understand not wanting to pay too much, but I still don't understand why you'd opt for dial up instead of 9.99 or 14.99 DSL from the local phone company.
Some Telco's DSL rates are $19.99 or more and may go up...and the install may be extra $$. For some people this may be seen as too much $$. If available and affordable the extra value of hi speed is WELL worth it to most.

People who've always been on dial-up don't realize the huge difference in usage capability using even a slow 'high speed' connection until they experience it. Few who have switched would choose to return to dial-up, even for free.

Another DSL advantage is that the phone (talk) can be used at the same time as the Internet...this is often important for senior citizens or those who 'check on them' via phone.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:56 AM
FBJ

39,614 posts, read 51,095,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
I would check this before buying one. Some may not.

While I agree, people can/will tolerate a lot when funds are limited or 'value' is not seen. Dial-up restricts range of use and extends session duration, which mask the 'value'.

Some Telco's DSL rates are $19.99 or more and may go up...and the install may be extra $$. For some people this may be seen as too much $$. If available and affordable the extra value of hi speed is WELL worth it to most.

People who've always been on dial-up don't realize the huge difference in usage capability using even a slow 'high speed' connection until they experience it. Few who have switched would choose to return to dial-up, even for free.

Another DSL advantage is that the phone (talk) can be used at the same time as the Internet...this is often important for senior citizens or those who 'check on them' via phone.

What laptop wouldn't have a phone jack? I never heard of such of thing

Old 07-10-2013, 11:36 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,896 posts, read 33,628,448 times
Quote:
Macbook Pro with Retina display for one. Not sure that any current Apple notebooks have modems or phone jacks anymore.

13,343 posts, read 17,768,488 times
Quote:

I have not seen a "phone jack" on a laptop in many years. You may be confusing the RJ45 ethernet port as a "phone jack".
Go ahead and look for one on dell.com or lenovo.com or hp.com.
It's not a big deal, just buy a USB or PCMCIA dialup modem and plug and play.

3,545 posts, read 5,678,159 times
Quote:
Anything made in the last few years. My parents have two laptops (both 4-6 years old) and only one has a modem in it. My wife's two or three year old one certainly doesn't.

Even when dial up was still widely used, many inexpensive laptops didn't have them.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:12 PM

Heres a post about the chrombook, etc.
Like many of you, I've been looking into various alternatives for WebTV.
As to Chromebook laptop computers, there are a few different makers. In reviews I've seen, the Samsung ones & probably Acer ones, have very badly-rated touch pads as well as lacking Delete Keys or Scroll up or down keys. Yes, you can scroll without keys, but it's not so great. HP makes a 14-inch Chromebook that probably has those keys but it's 4 lbs. which is too much for my lap. And, all Chromebooks have problems using printers. You need to go with a special Google Cloud printer or else use another computer in between you and the printer.
As to Google TV, I have seen it built into some Smart TVs like the better LGs and others. With some LG smart TVs that aren't Google TVs, LGs may not work with a wireless keyboard that you buy separately as I just called LG. The specs on their 32" Smart TV don't mention Bluetooth. The Samsung Smart TV's probably do work with their wireless optional keyboard but no Smart TVs these under 40" which is kind of big for my use. The 24", 26" & 29" Smart TVs from Vizio & Philips don't probably work with optional keyboards & some won't even let you browse the whole internet.
Now to Set-top boxes. First of all, you need a newer TV with HDMI jacks as audio/video jacks don't work. Folks are talking about boxes like the Vizio Co-star and the reviews I've seen of it aren't good, especially their junky Remote unit. Probably the best Remote with keyboard(small size) on it is the new Sony box for about $150.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:10 AM

10,752 posts, read 18,001,409 times
Quote:
Time to get out and look at current computers then, modems are old news and options on most new computers, if they're available at all.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:51 PM

After 16 yrs msntv closes down in less then 6 hrs.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:55 PM
FBJ

39,614 posts, read 51,095,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
After 16 yrs msntv closes down in less then 6 hrs.

Should have been 6 years ago. lol

It became so outdated in 2008 that I had to cancel it lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or