U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2010, 08:17 PM

327 posts, read 938,854 times

Advertisements

What is the best program for web design? My dad is starting a new business and I used to know HTML back in the day, so I promised to help set up a website for him. But back in the day (late 90's, early 2000s) I just used HTML. Websites created these days look so much better and are much more intricate because they are often created using hi-tech programs with fancy gizmos. Just wondering if any of you knew what these programs were? I've heard of Adobe Dreamweaver and Microsoft Frontpage so far, but can't tell which is better.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 10:20 PM

1,745 posts, read 1,908,982 times
I prefer Dreamweaver but I also use PSPad for hand coding.

You can also try these shareware editors that are really good:

Arachnophilia Editor
* Arachnophilia

CoffeeCup HTML Editor
The HTML Editor - Your best Web design friend | CoffeeCup Software

Stay away from MS Frontpage - no serious professional designer uses it.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:52 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,715,261 times
Yes, Dreamweaver is really a much more professional tool than Frontpage, with loads of extensions and add-ons available, plus it works seamlessly with the other Adobe tools like Photoshop and Flash. And even though they both use a WYSIWYG interface, Dreamweaver code is still true "360 code", meaning it only generates what you put in.

Unlike Frontpage, which seems to automatically add little things (like <span> tags) to the underlying html code, to the point that you actually start to get spelling mistakes when you're re-working pages!

Old 03-31-2010, 08:34 AM

327 posts, read 938,854 times
yea a couple of guys i know who program for a living recommend dreamweaver too. they say its tough to learn right off the bat, but that the tutorials are pretty good. i have to make sure this website looks as professional as possible once it launches in May/June. Feel pretty good about going with Dreamweaver. Thanks for the advice guys.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:03 AM

3,743 posts, read 11,462,492 times
The fact of the matter is, basic HTML will still build a great looking site provided the we designer knows how to put it together and can use Photoshop. Dreamweaver is probably still the best all-around app though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or