U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2010, 09:53 AM

5,244 posts, read 14,219,953 times

Advertisements

I have no clue how it happened but I just typed in my e-mail providers address and forgot the m at the end. Ask.com popped up! I've always had Google on here for any serach and I prefer that.

I went into internet options and removed Ask.com from any place I saw it. I removed it from my tool bar things at the top. I can't find any other place it's on my computer, but it's still what pops up if I type anything generic in my address bar.

Can anyone help me find it and get rid of it so I can go back to Google please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 12:17 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,730,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I have no clue how it happened but I just typed in my e-mail providers address and forgot the m at the end. Ask.com popped up! I've always had Google on here for any serach and I prefer that.
Whose DNS servers are you using?

If you don't know, maybe your ISP decided to set theirs up to default to ask.com if an invalid address lookup is attempted.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:23 PM

7,376 posts, read 13,032,102 times
ARe you saying ask.com is your home address now or are you saying ask.com is popping up even when you try to visit other websites?

Old 04-11-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Whose DNS servers are you using?

If you don't know, maybe your ISP decided to set theirs up to default to ask.com if an invalid address lookup is attempted.
It's a work computer and we've got a ton of computers here hooked up to it. Mine is the only one that's doing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
ARe you saying ask.com is your home address now or are you saying ask.com is popping up even when you try to visit other websites?
No, I changed Google to my home address. But if I do a search for say walking sticks it brings up the ask.com list of sites for that search. It's always brought up the google list before.

I've gone into internet options on the tools menu and removed anything that says ask.com and changed my internet search back to google but it still brings up ask. So I've got to go to google.com and then do my search. Not a huge deal, but I've become so accustomed to just typing in whatever I'm looking for in the address bar that I have to actually think now. I'm not good at that lately. Aside from that it irks me that ask.com has highjacked the computer. It's worse than a stupid virus!

Old 04-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,892 posts, read 33,621,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I went into internet options and removed Ask.com from any place I saw it. I removed it from my tool bar things at the top. I can't find any other place it's on my computer, but it's still what pops up if I type anything generic in my address bar.
Don't just remove the toolbar, uninstall it. Here's how to do that.

Ask Toolbar

Old 04-12-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Don't just remove the toolbar, uninstall it. Here's how to do that.

Ask Toolbar
You did it!!!! OMG - Ask is gone!!! Woo Hoo!!! I love you love you love you love you!!!!!

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!

Old 05-10-2010, 06:51 AM

7,376 posts, read 13,032,102 times
If I remember correctly you can go to add remove programs and also remove the toolbar there.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:11 PM

26,158 posts, read 15,731,811 times
If this just started,you can try doing a SYSTEM RESTORE and see if that helps (Restore to before this started of course)

When i type in an invalid address such as www.sdtuff.co i get a 404 page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet