Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 06:43 PM

207 posts, read 352,676 times

Advertisements

So I've had AT&T DSL broadband for about a year and a half. For the last month or so I've had some issues getting a connection (the DSL and internet lights dont light up). I've called their tech people and was told to turn off computer, then router, then modem. Turn back on in reverse order. Fine that worked at the time and occasionally. Most of the time it does not. I called their tech people again and finally he concluded that I need a new modem. So instead of replacing the same motorola modem I replaced it with a D-Link one. It didnt work. Keep in mind that most of my attempts are without the router. So my latest attempt, right now, it is working with the old motorola modem and router. So it is so damn inconsistent and frustrating. I have also switched filters. Nada. Does anyone know why this is happening? Anyone dealt with this before? Its getting to the point where I want to switch to another DSL broadband provider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 07:35 PM

806 posts, read 2,876,960 times
Generally, the DSL light should be continuously on, the Internet or activity light, only when there's traffic. I would run a continuous ping to yahoo or CNN or msn for a long time (overnight is good enough), to see if there's packet drops above 3%. If there is, then you have issues with the line beyond your modem/router. If not, then something within is forcing them to shut down/disconnect. What it could be is anyone's guess.

START>RUN> type in CMD> type in CD\ > type in ping www .yahoo. com -t

Let it run, do other things and after a long time CTRL and the letter C to stop and check the stats. The LOST packets number/ %age is what you need.

**** I left spaces in the yahoo address because it converts it to a hyper link.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookmeister View Post
Generally, the DSL light should be continuously on, the Internet or activity light, only when there's traffic. I would run a continuous ping to yahoo or CNN or msn for a long time (overnight is good enough), to see if there's packet drops above 3%. If there is, then you have issues with the line beyond your modem/router. If not, then something within is forcing them to shut down/disconnect. What it could be is anyone's guess.

START>RUN> type in CMD> type in CD\ > type in ping www .yahoo. com -t

Let it run, do other things and after a long time CTRL and the letter C to stop and check the stats. The LOST packets number/ %age is what you need.

**** I left spaces in the yahoo address because it converts it to a hyper link.

Thanks for the tip! The last two attempts have worked with the old motorola modem..go figure. By any chance do you have a link that would explain this procedure, how it works etc. Would like to learn more about it before utilizing it. Thanks again!

Old 04-19-2010, 12:56 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,206,576 times
Quote:
I have also switched filters. Nada.
You have switched what filters? where? why? I ask because the only filters I'm aware of that are associated with DSL are filters for the telephone outlets, not the DSL outlet. So, why would you change a filter?
Quote:
I called their tech people again and finally he concluded that I need a new modem. So instead of replacing the same motorola modem I replaced it with a D-Link one.
When their tech people said you needed a new modem did they send you a new modem or did you find one somewhere to purchase? Or do you mean router? If they decide you need a new modem they should send that modem to you and you return to them the old modem.

Typically, if most or all of customers in a given area are experiencing good service there aren't many places to look to resolve only one person's issue. And if a given area is having an issue then believe me, tech support will know it in short order.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
You have switched what filters? where? why? I ask because the only filters I'm aware of that are associated with DSL are filters for the telephone outlets, not the DSL outlet. So, why would you change a filter?.
those would be the filters that came with the motorola modem, something like 6 of them. I was running out of things to do to get it working, naturally if the modem came with 6 filters why not change it, and those would be for the telephone outlet

Quote:
When their tech people said you needed a new modem did they send you a new modem or did you find one somewhere to purchase? Or do you mean router? If they decide you need a new modem they should send that modem to you and you return to them the old modem.
well when I explained how long I had it, he said that it was out of warranty and he gave me the nearest AT&T outlet where I could purchase a new one. I opted to go in another direction if it indeed it was the modem, maybe another brand would last longer. I was surprised that the motorola brand would only last a little over a year

Quote:
Typically, if most or all of customers in a given area are experiencing good service there aren't many places to look to resolve only one person's issue. And if a given area is having an issue then believe me, tech support will know it in short order.
well i'm keeping my fingers crossed, probably will give them another call if it continues..and explain all the steps that I have taken

Old 04-19-2010, 03:50 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,638,419 times
I've got AT&T DSL and my modem is going into it's fourth year without a problem. It's a Westall and it's the one AT&T initially sent me.
I was having similar problems and was told to try a couple of things, which for me anyway totally solved the problem.
1. Plug the modem directly into a wall socket, not into an UPS or strip.
2. Make sure that the modem is no where near any corldless phone base or cordless phone.
3. Check the filters at each phone outlet. Take them out and put them in again. Same with the DSL modem. Replace the phone cord from the DSL filter to the modem with a new one.
Before changing the setup, unplug the modem for 15 minutes and hit the reset button on it after plugging it in again.
It solved my problems. It's worth a try.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:51 PM

Thanks for clearing up those items. Just to be sure, you say the modem came with six filters... for the telephone outlets. I take it you're saying the filters are on the outlets for your telephones only - that there is NOT a filter on the outlet where your modem is connected to the wall. Is that correct?
Quote:
Typical installation for an existing home involves installing DSL filters on every telephone, fax machine, voiceband modem, and other voiceband device in the home, leaving the DSL modem as the only unfiltered device.
So your connection is wall/tele-line/modem/cat5/router/cat5/pc < no other devices or connections of any kind?

The reason I pursue this is that I have sat in that room where the asians transfer dsl customers for escalation, though is was several years ago.

Last edited by WillysB; 04-19-2010 at 04:01 PM..

Old 04-19-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
I've got AT&T DSL and my modem is going into it's fourth year without a problem. It's a Westall and it's the one AT&T initially sent me.
I was having similar problems and was told to try a couple of things, which for me anyway totally solved the problem.
1. Plug the modem directly into a wall socket, not into an UPS or strip.
2. Make sure that the modem is no where near any corldless phone base or cordless phone.
3. Check the filters at each phone outlet. Take them out and put them in again. Same with the DSL modem. Replace the phone cord from the DSL filter to the modem with a new one.
Before changing the setup, unplug the modem for 15 minutes and hit the reset button on it after plugging it in again.
It solved my problems. It's worth a try.
glad someone else had the same issue...definately worth a try thanks!

Old 04-19-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks for clearing up those items. Just to be sure, you say the modem came with six filters... for the telephone outlets. I take it you're saying the filters are on the outlets for your telephones only - that there is NOT a filter on the outlet where your modem is connected to the wall. Is that correct?

So your connection is wall/tele-line/modem/cat5/router/cat5/pc < no other devices or connections of any kind?

The reason I pursue this is that I have sat in that room where the asians transfer dsl customers for escalation, though is was several years ago.
well orginally I was using a splitter only, for DSL and phone, but with no phone. as I begin to trouble shoot, I replaced that splitter with one of the filters, and yeah its on there now and all is working. that could be the problem,that I am using a filter on the outlet where the modem is connected. thanks for shedding light on that! the only question is why would it be working with the filter? I know I had issues even before replacing the splitter with the filter

Old 04-19-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
the only question is why would it be working with the filter?
I used to have an answer to that. The service would work with a filter, just at a severely reduced efficiency.

Quote:
Without DSL filters, signals or echoes from analog devices (telephone, fax) at the top of their frequency range can result in reduced performance and connection problems with DSL service, while those from the DSL service at the bottom of its range can result in line noise and other issues for analog devices.
Both your telephone and your DSL use the same copper pair to do their business... between your phone or modem and the telephone company central office. That copper pair has a set capacity to carry your signal, called bandwidth. The analog service (telephone, fax, etc) uses a small percentage of that bandwidth (sorry but I forget the numbers), the digital service (DSL) using the bulk of that capacity.

Make sure the modem line is plugged directly into the wall, no splitter, no filter, no nada. And I would even try it with the original Motorola from ATT to see if it works this way.

Question: The Motorola and the DLink... are they strictly modem or would you know either one of them to be a modem/router combo?

If the one you use is a modem only then continue to use your router. If it is a modem/router combo then you can dispense with your own router.

Give it a try, let us know how it goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet