U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 08:11 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,256,087 times

Advertisements

And 5 days after the death of routers predicted, I'm still online. Survived Y2K and now this, I must lead a charmed life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 03:37 PM

181 posts, read 293,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
This whole thing is stupid and UNCALLED FOR in my opinion....
Would you also say that it was uncalled for when DNS systems were updated so that a dig would not return every CNAME and A record that exists in the zone file for the domain?

This is not stupid and uncalled for at all. It's actually a very good security enhancement that most people are not going to understand. I work with DNS on a daily basis (BIND), and trust me, this is needed.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:28 PM

My router only routes DNS requests, to real DNS servers of my choice. I know that the default settings on most consumer grade home routers are configured as the DNS server for the internal network. Now why would they want to put such a task on these wimpy devices, with limited memory and processing power. The DNS IP address configured in hosts, (DHCP or static) should never point to these devices, but to actual DNS servers provided by ISP's, or third party like OpenDNS.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:13 PM

42,663 posts, read 75,347,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post

I DONT KNOW WHY THEY HAVE TO CHANGE THINGS,IT WAS WORKING FINE THE WAY IS WAS FOR YEARS!!!
Because there is no profit in fixing things that ARE broken, so they keep fixing things that are NOT.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Because there is no profit in fixing things that ARE broken, so they keep fixing things that are NOT.
Thus we can assume that you are a Network Engineer working with the ICANN or IANA, and speaks from a position of vast knowledge of the inner workings of the Domain Name System, or perhaps you just like to complain.

I mean after all there are no new Internet Protocols to be concerned with like IPv6, oh wait there is......

Old 06-03-2010, 09:19 PM

11,813 posts, read 13,951,598 times
Good post RCSteiner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
There are several issues. If you store a date as two digits and prepend a "19" to the year field, then 01/01/00 will appear as 01/01/1900 in many displays. There were many occurrences of this.
True, but that only hurts paperwork, not actual figures. Not like the water supply was going to stop or anything. I can remember my nieghbor storing water in jugs and adding anti-freeze. Didn't quite understand the anti-freeze part. Wouldn't that kill you?

Quote:
We had a serious but more subtle issue in the application I worked on at the time which showed up in testing ... most of the system stored date/time info as a large integer representing accumulated minutes past a given start date (I think Jan 1, 1967), and the conversation table in the library routine that almost all applications used to convert back and forth had arbitrarily been created only through December 31, 1999.
So I am curious in that scenario, what would the date roll to? 1967? Or would it have just stopped?

Old 06-04-2010, 04:30 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,730,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
True, but that only hurts paperwork, not actual figures. Not like the water supply was going to stop or anything. I can remember my nieghbor storing water in jugs and adding anti-freeze. Didn't quite understand the anti-freeze part. Wouldn't that kill you?
Anti-freeze isn't something I personally would drink.

Quote:
So I am curious in that scenario, what would the date roll to? 1967? Or would it have just stopped?
I think any program calling the conversion routine failed with a hard abort, but I won't say I remember that 100%. I do remember that it was apparent immediately!

It was easy to spot and fix (SYSERR 12 errors specified the routine name being called), but given the system in question even a small outage would have had some operational impact. I found the table limit to be amusing at the time but also understandable. :-) But it did show us that it wasn't a complete waste of time to set up a test environment and run various systems through the Y2K date change before the actual event.

Of course, our computing environment was somewhat complex ... at that time NWA used both IBM and Unisys mainframes, various Sun/IBM/HP UNIX boxes, Macs, and PCs, and there were a lot of messages passing between systems in real time, so a failure in some system could have an impact on several other applications running on other systems. Since we were the main flight ops system, we tended to feed a lot of others.

Most folks tend to think in terms of desk apps, and those don't really impact that many things outside of a single user...

Old 07-05-2010, 03:39 AM

15,924 posts, read 17,643,650 times
As was mentioned earlier, stupid, paranoid and as usual from the media scare mongering. For the most part Media is absolutely clueless when it comes to computers/internet... Their "experts" get their credo's from Cracker Jax boxes.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:03 AM

10,752 posts, read 17,997,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
As was mentioned earlier, stupid, paranoid and as usual from the media scare mongering. For the most part Media is absolutely clueless when it comes to computers/internet... Their "experts" get their credo's from Cracker Jax boxes.
Ummm, the media is clueless when it comes to pretty much everything.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:55 PM

16,341 posts, read 18,328,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
And 5 days after the death of routers predicted, I'm still online. Survived Y2K and now this, I must lead a charmed life
LOL My DH said he was the *test case* for the IBM retirement system because he retired December 1999. We haven't had any problems yet with getting his pension checks. My dd, ds and the rest of our family had a nice Y2K party. The prize winner was someone who managed to make booze without any power, iiRC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet