U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 01:26 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,256,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Nevertheless, Hotmail does transmit Youtube links as hyperlinks (and not most other links), which is the relevant point in the context of this net neutrality thread.[/b] Hotmail may also be screening for mail site of origin, but oddly, they screen out the ones from their own system.
Spammers will not link you to youtube when they are trying to steal your personal information, but they will link you to a normal hyperlink.

Sounds like hotmail is trying to protect the clueless, as most of the fools that get taken by spam, just blindly click on any hyperlink that comes their way.

Me thinks you are making a big deal out of an effort to protect the clueless, and it is not a secret plot by anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 07:45 PM

42,663 posts, read 75,347,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Spammers will not link you to youtube when they are trying to steal your personal information, but they will link you to a normal hyperlink.

Sounds like hotmail is trying to protect the clueless, as most of the fools that get taken by spam, just blindly click on any hyperlink that comes their way.

Me thinks you are making a big deal out of an effort to protect the clueless, and it is not a secret plot by anyone.
Two points:

1. They deny users the choice to opt our of their corporate selection of what links are facilitated or prioritized.

2. And that is a violation of the central core of the principle of net neutrality.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Two points:

1. They deny users the choice to opt our of their corporate selection of what links are facilitated or prioritized.

2. And that is a violation of the central core of the principle of net neutrality.
Hotmail is not mandated, delete your account, don't use it.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Hotmail is not mandated, delete your account, don't use it.
Nothing is mandated. Stop using the internet.

I already do not use Hotmail. But Hotmail is restricting my freedom to communicate with people who do use Hotmail, encroaching on my freedom of speech. That's what Net Neutrality is all about. Hotmail is using the default position that I represent a threat, presuming my guilt, and protecting their clients against me, and denying even those who trust me the option of a free flow of ideas from me. Or, at least, that's what they say in their defense, but what assurance do we have that they do not or will not use this strategy to filter content in favor of their own corporate partners, not out of altruistic concern for their clients, but for economic gain?

Net Neutrality is the principle that the private sector is enjoined from utilizing methods such as this to discourage, restrict, or block access to all websites equally. If one does it, it is not a problem. But if one CAN do it, others can, and perhaps will, possibly all of them.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-02-2010 at 12:45 AM..

Old 08-02-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Nothing is mandated. Stop using the internet.

I already do not use Hotmail. But Hotmail is restricting my freedom to communicate with people who do use Hotmail, encroaching on my freedom of speech. That's what Net Neutrality is all about. Hotmail is using the default position that I represent a threat, presuming my guilt, and protecting their clients against me, and denying even those who trust me the option of a free flow of ideas from me. Or, at least, that's what they say in their defense, but what assurance do we have that they do not or will not use this strategy to filter content in favor of their own corporate partners, not out of altruistic concern for their clients, but for economic gain?

Net Neutrality is the principle that the private sector is enjoined from utilizing methods such as this to discourage, restrict, or block access to all websites equally. If one does it, it is not a problem. But if one CAN do it, others can, and perhaps will, possibly all of them.
You're the one with a burr under your saddle, feel free to log off and disconnect.

Perhaps hotmail is trying to protect those people from links in spam, it is for those just a step above AOL users now isn't?

Old 08-02-2010, 01:03 PM

4,679 posts, read 10,949,463 times
MOD NOTE: Lets keep the posts on-topic,,, 'nuff said. Thanks.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
You're the one with a burr under your saddle, feel free to log off and disconnect.

Perhaps hotmail is trying to protect those people from links in spam, it is for those just a step above AOL users now isn't?
You don't have any idea what I'm talking about when I refer to the current controversy in the government and the industry about net neutrality, do you?

Old 08-03-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
You don't have any idea what I'm talking about when I refer to the current controversy in the government and the industry about net neutrality, do you?
Yes, I am well versed in the controversy surrounding net neutrality, but a link going through as text vs. a hyperlink isn't part of it. Net neutrality edit emails on the fly converting hyperlinks to plain text, it blocks stuff, or chokes the speed down to be unusable. It is also nothing new, ISP's have blocked inbound port 80 for a long long time now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or