U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 09:30 PM

12,083 posts, read 34,579,205 times

Advertisements

A good start would be knowing what type image you are looking for. Landscape, cityscape, night shot, sky, people, etc....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 10:59 PM

3,087 posts, read 5,970,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
A good start would be knowing what type image you are looking for. Landscape, cityscape, night shot, sky, people, etc....

Ooops, could've sworn I mention it. Yeah I'm looking for sky.

Heres what I did. I used a template that came with weebly and replaced the header image with another one from another weebly template.

In other words, weebly has multiple templates that allow you to chose from. But I didnt like the header I had, but like the rest of the layout. So I stayed with the layout and replaced the header with another one from a different template.

Hopefully thats allowed.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:01 AM

34,282 posts, read 59,604,944 times
You might go to Flickr and access the Commons where photos with no known copyright are hosted. They tend to be from government or museum archives.

And some Flickr members do not restrict use of their photos, and you may be able to find something you like.

But, as has been implied here, the person who shot the photo owns it outright, and all rights to use of the photo.
You can be sued for copyright infringement by someone who tracks their photos and presses the issue if you do not have documented permission for use.
A copyright mark is not required to run you through the mill for unpermitted use.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:08 PM

28,607 posts, read 40,588,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Ooops, could've sworn I mention it. Yeah I'm looking for sky.

Heres what I did. I used a template that came with weebly and replaced the header image with another one from another weebly template.

In other words, weebly has multiple templates that allow you to chose from. But I didnt like the header I had, but like the rest of the layout. So I stayed with the layout and replaced the header with another one from a different template.

Hopefully thats allowed.
So you've resolved the issue?

Old 05-09-2010, 03:24 PM

2,893 posts, read 5,340,598 times
Why not take a digital camera outside and take a picture of the sky! I don't think anyone can stop you from doing that!

Old 05-09-2010, 11:36 PM

40,169 posts, read 41,782,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post

Will they just request that you take it down?

Probably, lawsuits rarely happen but that doesn't mean you should use it without permission. I can think of one good example. There was a shopping cart icon that Corbis owned and it somehow made it into the mainstream. They ended up sending a lot of letters to websites owners asking for X amount of money or they were going to sue. AFAIK no one ever got sued, probably made a bundle off of people that paid the the fee though.

Panic Stations! Lawsuit threat for using an image (http://www.webmasterworld.com/content_copywriting/3181266.htm - broken link)

Quote:
I wouldnt mind giving credit to the site i'm taking it from, theres just no copywrite/trademark on the picture.
Doesn't matter, as soon as you create something like taking a picture or make a graphic you automatically have copyright. You would need the authors permission to use it.

Anyone offering templates or images will have the details somewhere for what you can and cannot do with the images. They can license them however they want such as unrestricted, no commercial use etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or