U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 05:38 AM

27,238 posts, read 25,409,186 times
I have an account. I personally know 98% of the people listed as friends. Some of them are family members, others are people I went to school with at some point in time, and still others are people I've met at other sites.

I have accepted requests from people that I can't personally recall, but that appear to have a number of "friends in common". Just yesterday, or the day before, in fact, I accepted a request from someone who had--as Facebook represented--19 friends in common with me. Now, I don't personally remember her, but for someone to have THAT many friends in common with me, she MUST have gone to the same school I did, and I just can't recall her.

But if a person asks to be my friend, just out of the blue, and isn't familiar to me or any of my friends, I send a message--just like you did--asking why they want to be my "friend". And honestly, I'd accept the fact that we play the same games at Facebook. But if they don't reply, then they don't get added.

Most of my friends are within three years of my age--or quite a bit older. For example, three of my aunts are on my friends list there. All quite a bit older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 05:28 PM

7,828 posts, read 2,625,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native
...better yet, delete your account.
Best advice on this thread!

Old 05-15-2010, 06:06 PM

359 posts, read 414,939 times
Facebook has its uses, and I don't see any reason to be afraid of it. For networking it can be really helpful, and it's brought me back in touch with scores of people from my past. It's really nice to reconnect with them. It also helps me stay in touch with far-flung family, and lets my professional contacts learn a little bit more about my personal life and vice versa.

I have more than 250 friends, most of whom are professional connections. I see no real reason to keep my personal and professional lives strictly separate, though I could easily understand why one would. Facebook isn't for everyone, and certainly some caution is warranted. I don't accept friend requests from people I can't place; I just hit "ignore" and move on.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:27 PM

445 posts, read 626,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
I recently joined FB in order to participate in several pages of places and people that I am interested in. As an old guy who came of age with the internet while working for the DOD, I have a bogus picture and almost nothing available regarding me. I find Facebook very useful to keep track of my favorite causes, programs etc. I have no "friends." I received a "friend request" from an unknown who sells railroad art, no doubt based on my interest in a couple of FB railroad sites. I initially accepted, and then received another "friend request" from another marketer of railroad stuff. I could see what was going on and deleted both of them. Quiet for awhile, but then recently received a "friend request" from a young woman who had a lot of young "friends" who no doubt wouldn't want to have anything to do with me. Instead of accepting, I sent her a message asking why she had inquired? Did we have someone in common? Her request disappeared along with my "sent" message Tonight I received another "friend request" from a young black woman who is apparently a heavy duty evangelical Christian with all black friends (I am an old white guy )

(I have searched this forum and didn't find any appropriate threads.) Can anybody else here shed light on their and perhaps my strange experiences with FB? Thanks in advance for your interesting replies

qw
I think that if you have a profile that displays your "causes" or groups or whatever, AND, you don't use certain privacy settings, yes, random people will search thru profiles, and for whatever reason, will request friendship. If you just want to keep track of what's important to you, then keep your page only available to those particular things of interest. Not available to "everyone"

Old 05-15-2010, 06:49 PM

3,047 posts, read 4,591,719 times
Lately, within the last month or so, FB has been suggesting friends to me that have no connection to any of my friends, e.g., no mutual friends. Seems odd - most of these suggested friends have very few friends, maybe one or two, and this may be FB's way of getting people with few friends more engaged with the site.

I don't see anything dangerous with the site that isn't inherent on any board, except that personal information is more out there for identity thieves - it certainly would be possible for a stranger to learn your birthday, pet's names, maiden name, children's names, etc.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:03 AM

984 posts, read 976,248 times
Well, it proved dangerous for that poor eighteen year-old.

Yes, facebook was only the tool, but it is another tool available for evil people to prey on others.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:56 AM

3,047 posts, read 4,591,719 times
Yes, but anytime there is contact with a stranger the potential is there. This has happened through Craig's List more times than I can count. I started meeting people I met online since the mid-80's. Common sense should prevail - meeting in public places, in groups, etc. FB itself, isn't anymore inherently dangerous than having further contact with someone you meet in a bar. Perhaps even less, because the person is easy to background check because all of their real life information is there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet