U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 08:17 PM

4,538 posts, read 8,228,254 times

Advertisements

I recently joined FB in order to participate in several pages of places and people that I am interested in. As an old guy who came of age with the internet while working for the DOD, I have a bogus picture and almost nothing available regarding me. I find Facebook very useful to keep track of my favorite causes, programs etc. I have no "friends." I received a "friend request" from an unknown who sells railroad art, no doubt based on my interest in a couple of FB railroad sites. I initially accepted, and then received another "friend request" from another marketer of railroad stuff. I could see what was going on and deleted both of them. Quiet for awhile, but then recently received a "friend request" from a young woman who had a lot of young "friends" who no doubt wouldn't want to have anything to do with me. Instead of accepting, I sent her a message asking why she had inquired? Did we have someone in common? Her request disappeared along with my "sent" message Tonight I received another "friend request" from a young black woman who is apparently a heavy duty evangelical Christian with all black friends (I am an old white guy )

(I have searched this forum and didn't find any appropriate threads.) Can anybody else here shed light on their and perhaps my strange experiences with FB? Thanks in advance for your interesting replies

qw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 09:21 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,730,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
(I have searched this forum and didn't find any appropriate threads.) Can anybody else here shed light on their and perhaps my strange experiences with FB? Thanks in advance for your interesting replies
Some people seem to collect FB friends for no other reason than to have the largest number of friends.

My own list is just people I actually know. Friends, relatives, cow orkers, and people of interest in my life. I reject most requests from people I don't know unless I somehow find them of interest (common mutual friends, for example).

Old 05-13-2010, 03:58 AM

3,685 posts, read 8,491,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Can anybody else here shed light on their and perhaps my strange experiences with FB? Thanks in advance for your interesting replies
It's quite simple. They all want to have sex with you.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Some people seem to collect FB friends for no other reason than to have the largest number of friends ...
That's what I figured...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
It's quite simple. They all want to have sex with you.
Smart aleck!

Old 05-13-2010, 06:59 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,256,087 times
FB is a mecca for predators of all types. If you must have a FB account, set all your security to the max, better yet, delete your account.

The Dangers of Facebook

Old 05-13-2010, 08:24 PM

34,270 posts, read 59,588,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
FB is a mecca for predators of all types. If you must have a FB account, set all your security to the max, better yet, delete your account.

The Dangers of Facebook
I'm with you...

Old 05-13-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
FB is a mecca for predators of all types. If you must have a FB account, set all your security to the max, better yet, delete your account ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I'm with you...
Thanks for these replies. They address the suspicions I had about these strange friend requests.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:47 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,629,022 times
Also, Top 10 Reasons Facebook is Evil « Dube’s World

Old 05-13-2010, 10:11 PM

18,500 posts, read 55,418,079 times
I'm still waiting for the sequel site, buttbook.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:34 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,629,022 times
Just in the news:

Man charged with Facebook teen's murder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or