U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 12:39 PM

16,410 posts, read 26,661,204 times

Advertisements

I don't see facebook going anywhere until there is something that can replace it. Facebook makes being in contact with people so much easier. It adds a text message and e-mail which can be a life saver when it comes to being in college. For that reason I don't see it going anywhere, and either way, facebook was originally developed for college students, you weren't even really able to sign up unless you were a college student. They opened up when they saw the $$
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 02:12 PM

1,749 posts, read 3,310,948 times
Myspace made being in contact with other people really easy too, even though 90% of the Display Names were things like "Hott A$$ MaMa" and "Whooz yO DaDdY". People will get sick of facebook, trust me. The news feed will start having less and less posts from people as time goes by, and then just like myspace, the only people that will post anything that gets seen on the newsfeed will be commercial entities that you "friended" and facebook whores that need attention.

BTW "Friended" is such a lame word...

Old 05-23-2010, 03:34 PM

6,023 posts, read 12,068,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [LEFT
djxpress[/left];14302184]
Myspace
made being in contact with other people really easy too, even though 90% of the Display Names were things like "
Hott
A$$
MaMa
" and "
Whooz
yO
DaDdY
". People will get sick of
facebook
, trust me. The news feed will start having less and less posts from people as time goes by, and then just like
myspace
, the only people that will post anything that gets seen on the
newsfeed
will be commercial entities that you "
friended
" and
facebook
whores that need attention.BTW "
Friended
" is such a lame word...
Calling people you don't even know "whores" is really lame.
I think I'll leave my spell check on just for the sake of lameness !

Old 05-23-2010, 03:56 PM

3,651 posts, read 8,372,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
Facebook is going the way of Myspace.

You know which site is going to fall the hardest? IMO Twitter.
No one cares when you eat your breakfast or take a dump. No need to send twitter updates that you're waiting in line at Walmart or that the checker was rude to you (probably because you were on your cell phone).
You would think. Yet it's wildly popular.

Never underestimate the stupidity and/or general lunacy of our society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Calling people you don't even know "whores" is really lame.
Because.......? What would you call a woman who sells sex for money? A "risque entrepreneur?"

'Course we aren't talking about that kind of "w h o r e" but the point remains. Attention whores are attention whores and there's nothing lame about calling a spade a spade.

NOTE to race card nazis: that is not a racial reference FYI.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:10 PM

5,148 posts, read 4,517,771 times
I was never into Facebook at all, so I'm a trendsetter!! I ONLY have twitter to get like bar specials and stuff. I quickly lost interest in that as well.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:10 PM

6,023 posts, read 12,068,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Whatever. Never understood the fascination any of these hold for people. You gain self-worth by knowing a lot of people? Right.
No, you gain self worth from achieving rep stars on City-Data Dot Com Forums.

Old 05-30-2010, 03:59 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,629,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
No, you gain self worth from achieving rep stars on City-Data Dot Com Forums.
Isn't that the point of City-Data? To get rep points?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
NOTE to race card nazis: that is not a racial reference FYI.
PS Don't you know The Economist's rule that whovever brings up 'Nazis' first automatically loses the discussion?

Old 05-30-2010, 09:43 AM

1,749 posts, read 3,310,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalAussie View Post
PS Don't you know The Economist's rule that whovever brings up 'Nazis' first automatically loses the discussion?

It's called Godwin's law

Old 05-30-2010, 10:15 AM

16,308 posts, read 25,256,087 times
I have not/will not have a FB or any other social networking page.

It is a huge security risk, then along comes the ultra stoooooopid on the part of FB to open every single security flaw by default, leaving it to the clueless majority of users (nothing personal, they just don't have the skills to protect themselves online), to actually enact their own security by having to 'opt out' of everything.

Fortunately bad press and pressure has corrected this, but what is the next stoooooopid thing they are going to do. I wouldn't trust the people that run FB with my dogs name (and no, I do not use my dog's name as a password anywhere)

Old 05-30-2010, 05:54 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,629,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
It's called Godwin's law
Oh- I read it in The Economist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or