U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 02:46 PM

3,743 posts, read 11,462,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
It's not new - it's Microsoft's search engine that they just re-branded. It still sucks just as bad as it always has.

Microsoft makes a great desktop operating system and a few good apps. That's where they started, and that's where they excel. They were late to get into the Internet, and they've never really understood it. They're always several steps behind the competition, and their search engine is no different.
Yeah, I forgot about that - when MS fails, it just rebrands and tries again with a new marketing campaign!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 11:05 PM

15,850 posts, read 30,785,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
After seeing a couple of commercials on the new search engine Bing, I decided to give it a try and I have to say that for me, it is much better than Google. I did a search on several different topics using both Bing and Google and Bing did a better job of returning more information in every case.

Anyone else finding the same thing? Has anyone else even tried Bing or have a SE that you think works best?
I have recently decided to cut the cord on Google products and as a result tried Bing. I did a side-by-side comparison on terms and Bing did just as well on hits.

The only thing that Bing is lacking is image search. Google still out performs there. However, I am willing to bite the bullet on that one to rid myself of Google forever.

I encourage everyone to do the same.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-14-2010, 11:41 PM

254 posts, read 372,833 times
I hate Bing.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:25 AM

3,743 posts, read 11,462,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I have recently decided to cut the cord on Google products and as a result tried Bing. I did a side-by-side comparison on terms and Bing did just as well on hits.

The only thing that Bing is lacking is image search. Google still out performs there. However, I am willing to bite the bullet on that one to rid myself of Google forever.

I encourage everyone to do the same.

20yrsinBranson
So, people should quit Google for no reason, other than you have?

Old 06-15-2010, 10:30 AM

14,523 posts, read 7,674,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Sayantsi, I had a similar reaction to what was written above. I just have never understood why some folks have such a visceral reaction to a product which works perfectly well, as far as I can see. I don't get it, but it's also true that I'm not very much 'in the know' about things.....

Old 06-15-2010, 07:53 PM

15,850 posts, read 30,785,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Of course not. I quit Google because their customer service is horrible. Oh, they TALK a big game. "We want your feedback"...."How are we doing"...."send your ideas for improvement" blah blah blah, yada yada yada. But when you REALLY have a problem or a question. Not only do they NOT care *at all* but they will not even reply to your emails.

Not that Microsoft is any better. But I am at least willing to give them the same chance I gave Google. I value customer service VERY HIGHLY and will not do business who does not care about its customers.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-05-2014, 04:25 PM

42,663 posts, read 75,347,085 times
Does anybody know how to mute the audio in Bing search results? Whenever the search produces a video with audio, hovering on the link triggers the audio of the clip, very very very loud, much louder than the settings of my computer speakers. It is extremely annoying, and has discouraged me from using Bing search. There doesn't seem to be any way in the settings to mute the audio or adjust the sound volume.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:32 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,934,081 times
I have used Google for years. Tried Bing last fall for awhile, HATED IT. Gave weird results. Now I am using this:

https://duckduckgo.com/

Really great!!

Old 04-06-2014, 07:35 PM

16,955 posts, read 17,129,775 times
Video searches with Bing is pretty awesome.....general searches, I still prefer Google.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:54 AM

2,331 posts, read 2,688,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
After seeing a couple of commercials on the new search engine Bing, I decided to give it a try and I have to say that for me, it is much better than Google. I did a search on several different topics using both Bing and Google and Bing did a better job of returning more information in every case.

Anyone else finding the same thing? Has anyone else even tried Bing or have a SE that you think works best?
Nope, NOT happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or