U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 03:18 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,645,151 times

Advertisements

I just received my first phishing email scam, supposedly from an old friend (also a Facebook friend) saying she was on vacation in London, got mugged, lost everything and needs money !! Only, the email didn't say how to send her the money ~

I was aware of this old scam; also know that my friend does not fly anywhere. But now that I opened the email I'm wondering if my contacts have been stolen by the scammer ????

Does anyone else have experience in this ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 05:46 PM

11,081 posts, read 12,365,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
I just received my first phishing email scam, supposedly from an old friend (also a Facebook friend) saying she was on vacation in London, got mugged, lost everything and needs money !! Only, the email didn't say how to send her the money ~

I was aware of this old scam; also know that my friend does not fly anywhere. But now that I opened the email I'm wondering if my contacts have been stolen by the scammer ????

THATS EXACTLY what happened to you ! They are scamming you. You can either play along ( note they want Western Union Only ) ..totally a scam...Or write her back and ask her personal questions ONLY she would know such as your dogs/cats name or anything only a FRIEND would know...

I think they hack into your email and get the contact info..

Old 05-22-2010, 05:49 PM

434 posts, read 1,165,906 times
A fellow Realtor in my office had her email hacked (hotmail). This same message was sent out to everyone on her address book! She had EVERYBODY calling her...clients, past clients, Realtors etc. Crazy...

Old 05-30-2010, 03:52 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,629,022 times
I get emails from a dead friend's hotmail address, trying to sell me various goods.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:39 PM

7,376 posts, read 13,032,102 times
Must have been cheap.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:41 PM

3,651 posts, read 8,372,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post

Wow. Your first? Where've you been, Tibet?

You should string them along like this guy. Some great stuff here:

Ebola Monkey Man: Nigerian 419 Scam

Old 06-03-2010, 09:39 PM

11,813 posts, read 13,951,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallDerek View Post
A fellow Realtor in my office had her email hacked (hotmail). This same message was sent out to everyone on her address book! She had EVERYBODY calling her...clients, past clients, Realtors etc. Crazy...
Usually that is a virus that spoofs email addresses not really a "hacking" issue.

I got the best phising email the other day. I should have saved it.

Basically went like this:

Hello friend. A good friend of you has contact me to kill you. My boys I have been trailing you for weeks to learn you schedule. But I feel guilt now. If you would pay me more monies then your friends paid I will let you live.

Your_Killer@hotmail.uk

I really don't think my friends can afford a hitman from England.

I wrote him back saying "if you know everything about me then you know I am a cop in *notmyrealcity* and that I live at *madeupaddress*. You know that I own 5 different guns, my favorite being the semi automatic P90. Bring it on my friend. I look forward to meeting you, or your boys...."

Old 07-19-2010, 01:47 PM

22,950 posts, read 24,743,186 times
I just had this "stranded in London" hack happen from my hotmail account (both of them, actually, since I have one for family and one for online shopping.) I got a bunch of concerned emails from people, most of whom know I wasn't traveling abroad. I changed my passwords and other security information immediately, but is there anything else I should do (apart from not using hotmail anymore?)

Old 07-19-2010, 05:52 PM

28,595 posts, read 40,577,263 times
I send them the email address and phone number of the desk sergeant at our police station.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:31 PM

3,743 posts, read 11,462,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallDerek View Post
OT, but I think its funny - if someone said they got mugged and lost everything, why would you try and call them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or