U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 06:20 PM

14,523 posts, read 7,674,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Apple Mac users are having fits with youtube on both Safari and Firefox and it all comes down to Flash.

Even the latest version of Flash is working in a spotty manner if at all. I for one have yet to figure out , along with many other PC & Mac users, just what the heck it up with youtube and Flash.

Or if you "upgrade" flash you may be actually downgrading your flash........
Apple upgrades Snow Leopard, downgrades Flash security on Vimeo

And the problem is speading.......
Apple - Support - Discussions - ESPN.com crashes Safari and Firefox ...
I have an iMac and run Safari and hardly ever have even the slightest 'buffering' sequence. When this does happen, invariably it's from a youtube which is embedded on a web site. In that case I just go to youtube.com and see the video there; without any difficulty.

So what makes the difference? Mind you, I'm not complaining but thinking about the reasons why is intriguing.

Oh, and I have broadband service @ speed 1.5/1 Mbps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 10:29 PM

8,955 posts, read 17,967,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
I have an iMac and run Safari and hardly ever have even the slightest 'buffering' sequence. When this does happen, invariably it's from a youtube which is embedded on a web site. In that case I just go to youtube.com and see the video there; without any difficulty.

So what makes the difference? Mind you, I'm not complaining but thinking about the reasons why is intriguing.

Oh, and I have broadband service @ speed 1.5/1 Mbps
From what I read on this problem how flash works with Safari/Firefox varies widely from Mac to Mac. Sounds crazy but this whole flash issue is crazy.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:23 AM

1,785 posts, read 1,972,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Youtube uses a few technologies to stream its videos, including Flash and H.264. Flash has been problematic for freezing for people on multiple browsers for a while, but I have yet to see a reason for it or a fix, but a work around I've read about is to disable Java in your browser. You can try that and see if the videos return to normal.
Thanks. I've tried disabling Java while after starting a video, and it seems to do the trick - so far so good. But it's still a hassle because I have to re-enable Java in order to start another video, then disable Java while that video plays.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty MacButter View Post
Thanks. I've tried disabling Java while after starting a video, and it seems to do the trick - so far so good. But it's still a hassle because I have to re-enable Java in order to start another video, then disable Java while that video plays.
I agree, what a hassle! I'm curious to know if you've tried Safari?

Old 06-09-2010, 12:38 PM

3,743 posts, read 11,462,492 times
You can also try downloading the latest version of java, see if that helps.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:35 AM

Just an update on the Youtube problem:

Last week I got a Blue Screen of Death and couldn't boot back. I ended up reinstalling Windows from the XP CD. Now I have a clean system.. and guess what?.. No more Youtube stalls! Knock on wood.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:16 PM

Thanks for giving us the update I'm so glad that your annoying problem is solved.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Thanks for giving us the update I'm so glad that your annoying problem is solved.
You're welcome. My whole PC is running faster and smoother since I did the reinstall. I should have done it sooner! As always though, knock on wood.

Old 07-04-2010, 03:02 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,453,455 times
Fatty-Mac-
Y'know, I had the same problem up until last October when I switched my provider from Cablevision (Optimum), to FiOS.
I was at my wits end because I often use my screen recorder to capture streaming video and it was murder having to use
Sony Vegas to piece together the fractured video clips. At present, I have no reservations about making the switch
to FiOS, it worked out well and even saved me a few bucks.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:50 AM

Hey LongIslandEddie, I can relate to the frustration. Glad the FIOS worked out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet