U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 08:30 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,391,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Here is the ultimate example of greed and gulibility in the average clueless internet user.
419 scammers kidnap US woman: News24: South Africa: News
The part I find annoying is that these scams have been around forever. The method of delivery has changed but the basic scam has not. People want something for nothing and believe against all logic and evidence to the contrary that they can get it.

I got two or three the other day about some gold that was found by soldiers in Afghanistan who needed help getting it out because they couldn't afford customs fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 11:30 AM

16,308 posts, read 25,256,087 times
I have a number of email accounts for a number of reasons

But I have to tip my hat to Google and Gmail, they have a spam filter that works, as I almost never get spammed through my gmail accounts. If they can do it, why can't anyone else?

PS: I used to check the spam folder from time to time and never found anything legitimate that had been detected as spam.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:48 PM

10,752 posts, read 17,997,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I have a number of email accounts for a number of reasons

But I have to tip my hat to Google and Gmail, they have a spam filter that works, as I almost never get spammed through my gmail accounts. If they can do it, why can't anyone else?

PS: I used to check the spam folder from time to time and never found anything legitimate that had been detected as spam.
Agreed, best spam filter I've seen.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:51 PM

11,813 posts, read 13,951,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I got the best one EVER a few weeks ago. Though I'd share since this thread got bumped. My god I hope someone doesn't fall for this one.
OMG! Would you believe I got another one?
This hits my Yahoo account. Agree Gmail has excellent spam filtering.

Here it is:

How are you.
Am very sorry for you my friend, is a pity that this is how your life is going to end as soon as you don't comply.As you can see there is no need of introducing myself to you because I don't have any business with you, my duty as I am mailing you now is just to KILL/ASSASSINATE you and I have to do it as I have already been paid for that.
Someone you call a friend wants you Dead by all means, and the person have spent a lot of money on this, the person also came to us and told me that he want you dead and he provided us with your name ,picture and other necessary information's we needed about you. So I sent my boys to track you down and they have carried out the necessary investigation needed for the operation on you, and they have done that but I told them not to kill you that I will like to contact you and see if your life is Important to you or not since their findings shows that you are innocent.
I called my client back and ask him of you email address which I didn't tell him what I wanted to do with it and he gave it to me and I am using it to contact you now. As I am writing to you now my men are monitoring you and they are telling me everything about you.
Now do you want to LIVE OR DIE? As someone has paid us to kill you. Get back to me now if you are ready to pay some fees to spare your life, If you are not ready for my help, then I will carry on with my job straight-up.
WARNING: DO NOT THINK OF CONTACTING THE POLICE OR EVEN TELL ANYONE BECAUSE I WILL KNOW. REMEMBER, SOMEONE WHO KNOWS YOU VERY WELL WANT YOU DEAD! I WILL EXTEND IT TO YOUR FAMILY, IN CASE I NOTICE SOMETHING FUNNY.
DO NOT COME OUT ONCE IT IS 7:30PM UNTIL I MAKE OUT TIME TO SEE YOU AND GIVE YOU THE TAPE OF MY DISCUSSION WITH THE PERSON WHO WANT YOU DEAD AFTER YOU HAVE COMPLIED WITH MY DEMANDS, THEN YOU CAN USE IT TO TAKE ANY LEGAL ACTION.
GOOD LUCK AS I AWAIT YOUR REPLY

Old 07-22-2010, 04:33 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,839,849 times
What if Peregrine was indeed whacked and his killer is posing as him in order not to the alert the media and his other potential victims?

How do we know you are the real Peregrine, Peregrine?

Old 07-22-2010, 07:07 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,075,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Thanks to the FBI, I know now why I haven't gotten any of my inheritances that I was promised via email. They sent me this recently:

Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
Anti-Terrorist And Monitory Crime Division.
J.Edgar. Hoover Building Washington D.C.
Customers Service Hours / Monday To Saturday For more information call during working period Telephone number: 2033330996

Attn: Beneficiary,

This is to officially inform you...

Glad to see my tax dollars are at work to help me. I will soon be rolling in the money.

In case there is any question, I am being sarcastic.
Maybe you could spam the spammer, only use this number (202) 324-3000
instead of theirs. Maybe even use their graphics:
http://www.fbi.gov/images/seal.gif (broken link)

Old 07-26-2010, 08:49 AM

11,813 posts, read 13,951,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
What if Peregrine was indeed whacked and his killer is posing as him in order not to the alert the media and his other potential victims?

How do we know you are the real Peregrine, Peregrine?
The fact that I can type with no typos, and with proper grammar, should have been the first tip that it is really me.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:01 PM

10,752 posts, read 17,997,204 times
Got a cute reply to a craigslist listing I put up last night for my old xbox

Hello,
Thanks for the swift reply. I am still interested in buying, I
am satisfied with the conditions and because i read through the AD and
i will like you to know that i will not
be able to come over to view the item because i am very busy with my
business transaction
and i will like you to send me more of the pictures if you have
really,sincerely i am interested in immediate purchase of this item
for my Daughter-inlaw..I will make my payments with a bank certified
check..I will be responsible for the pick up when check clears. Kindly
get back to me with the following informations so that payment can be
endorsed:

Name to be on the check.
Address to mail the payment to,zip code{not p o box}
Phone number both land and mobile.

After the information has been supplied,I will provide an update on
the payment..I will be
highly grateful if you can withdraw the ad from craigslist and make me
your favourite buyer.

Thank You!!

Old 07-27-2010, 01:05 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,839,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Got a cute reply to a craigslist listing I put up last night for my old xbox

Hello,
Thanks for the swift reply. I am still interested in buying, I
am satisfied with the conditions and because i read through the AD and
i will like you to know that i will not
be able to come over to view the item because i am very busy with my
business transaction
and i will like you to send me more of the pictures if you have
really,sincerely i am interested in immediate purchase of this item
for my Daughter-inlaw..I will make my payments with a bank certified
check..I will be responsible for the pick up when check clears. Kindly
get back to me with the following informations so that payment can be
endorsed:

Name to be on the check.
Address to mail the payment to,zip code{not p o box}
Phone number both land and mobile.

After the information has been supplied,I will provide an update on
the payment..I will be
highly grateful if you can withdraw the ad from craigslist and make me
your favourite buyer.

Thank You!!
Haha....nice! While you are at it, you should tell him under which front porch plant you keep the spare house key.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:11 PM
'M'

1,818 posts, read 2,653,160 times
Yes, I get an email from the "FBI" every other day in my junk folder. I don't open spam because I heard that when you open them, it causes them to send more frequent emails. Honestly, I think the only people who fall for these are people with dementia or Alzheimer's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet