Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 04:20 PM

5,450 posts, read 6,240,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Gulf of Mexico is a rich XOM
That could not be further from the truth. XOM actually has very little in the Gulf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 10:45 AM

692 posts, read 3,137,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
S&P 500 showing signs of resistance at 1081 ...1095 ...1100.

The prelude to a "possible" great short opportunity.

Start Readying your clicking finger.......

S&P 500 closed Friday slightly pushing through the upper 1100 resitance level to 1104.

That could be a new short term bullish sign.

So .... We are at a critical level right here and I am neutral and out of the market until I see which way we break from here.

Watch 1120 close up side and 1080 close down side for now.

If we go up from here there should be an excellent short opportuninty ahead.

Last edited by silverfox; 09-05-2010 at 11:26 AM..

Old 09-08-2010, 07:30 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,285,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
If your going to Short, pick the weakest sectors.

I use ETF's not individual stocks. Less risky.

Be patient and Stalk your Prey ......
Damn good advice about using ETF's!

It's much easier to use ETF to short the major stock indices then trying to play individual stocks.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:55 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,285,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Would I be the biggest idiot if I short XOM's in the coming days? I see an opportunity. I am looking at other blue chips that I wanna short too. Been reading the yahoo finance message boards on XOM. A tons of short sellers run riot there

With the DJIA getting beaten way too often, this might as well work.

Stock gurus, your opinions are highly appreciated
First, stop reading message boards for stock picking advice. Get some financial knowledge, understand the markets and the economy. Then evaluate an individual stock based on its competitive position in the marketplace, the future growth prospects in that marketplace and how well a company is managed based on its financials, profitability, and earnings and revenue growth rate.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:18 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,878,986 times
Shorts are tough.

I remember a few years ago, Google was at some ridiculous level. People thought it was overvalued at $200, then it goes to $450. Then I thought it has to go back below $400.

Lo and behold it went to $700, lol, before crashing to $300. Remember the old saying, the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent. Some long dated puts would have worked. But still.

Intermediate term moves in the market are more random than anyone on a message board (or on a financial news show) would ever admit. The best long term short would probably be bonds right now. Better fundamental reasons to short that than xom right now.

The long term spx chart is very scary. Two gigantic bubbles at the end. Will there be enough to reflate a 3rd bubble?

Old 09-11-2010, 03:04 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,663,567 times
Things are going good. Exxon is swelling, I'm just waiting for that 2 to 3 bad day streak to short it.

Bizarrely, this week's reports have been unexpectedly good. But this is still a denial rally. I like Exxon in the 61's, when it gets to 63, and when a slew of bad reports hits the DOW, I'll happily short XOM

My other shorting targets are STD and BAC.

Lately, I have been thinking of getting rid of my existing longs on BAC. The financial derivatives fracas will consume BAC in the coming months. STD is stronger as they have a diverse clientele stretching in the South Americas.

Couple days back I missed an awesome shorting opportunity on STD. It dropped nearly 80 cents in 2 days

Old 09-12-2010, 12:18 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,423,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Would I be the biggest idiot if I short XOM's in the coming days? I see an opportunity. I am looking at other blue chips that I wanna short too. Been reading the yahoo finance message boards on XOM. A tons of short sellers run riot there

With the DJIA getting beaten way too often, this might as well work.

Stock gurus, your opinions are highly appreciated
I'm not a stock guru, but I can tell you that you shouldn't base your investment ideas on yahoo finance message boards. 90% of the posts there are written by clueless idiots...kind of like here.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I'm not a stock guru, but I can tell you that you shouldn't base your investment ideas on yahoo finance message boards. 90% of the posts there are written by clueless idiots...kind of like here.
Yes, LOL.

I know offline traders, I actually work in the financial industry. Shorts are making merry in this bear market. Every guy I run into speaks only about shorts.

One guy shorted XOM when they were taking over XTO. It's naturally expected that when a bigger company swallows a smaller one, the former undergoes temporary stock depreciation owing to the takeover proceedings. Luckily for him, XOM went down to as far as 55.XX. He made thousands before he covered.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:16 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,272,784 times
Depends how you are shorting XOM... Are you shorting on a day to day basis? Maybe $1 or 2?
i.e. shorting they will go to 60 or 59? (they are 61.20 currently)

If you are shorting any more than that, then it is ridiculous... I mean it is XOM for gosh sakes!

Old 09-13-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Depends how you are shorting XOM... Are you shorting on a day to day basis? Maybe $1 or 2?
i.e. shorting they will go to 60 or 59? (they are 61.20 currently)

If you are shorting any more than that, then it is ridiculous... I mean it is XOM for gosh sakes!
I shorted 200 at 9:31am

It's already down 50 cents from previous close. I'll keep watching it and cover it today itself.

There are rumors that somebody downgraded it. And I jumped right in

It's only 200 shares, so I am not too worked up, actually. Just experimenting. It's a surprise coz the Dow is doing good today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing