Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 03:16 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times

Advertisements

I am presently a bag holder of many long positions of companies with strong fundamentals like XOM.

However, performing margin trading on uranium, rare earth and other bubble plays, aka day trading, I have made close to 7000 bucks since Nov 1.

If only I had the balls, I'd have made 70K, but not yet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 11:40 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
Any of those "investments" are pure speculative plays unless you've crunched the numbers or have some sort of insider advantage, not simply a gut feeling that a certain commodity or stock will go up. I'll be honest, I don't place much value in technical analysis or momentum investing or other charting/trending techniques. But if it's worked for you, feel free to share your secrets.

As far as taking a page out of BH's success, I think we can all agree that none of us is Warren Buffet. Maybe if you have a background in finance and IB/consulting you could work through variations on CAPM & come up with NPV's to reveal "intrinsic value." But all this depends on good estimations of future cash flows & picking appropriate discount rates, a lot of variables that are beyond the grasp of novice investors.
I have to disagree with not putting much value in technical analysis or charting/trending techniques. That is how I do all of my trades. I pay absolutely no attention to the fundamentals or any annalists.
If the trade is not working I just cut my loses and move on.

As for what the original question is, I would not put any money in one stock if you are not there to babysit it everyday. Because you will probably lose money in the long run. By a mutual fund and forget about it, you won't make a ton of money but you probably won't get hurt.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:45 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,732,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
I have to disagree with not putting much value in technical analysis or charting/trending techniques. That is how I do all of my trades. I pay absolutely no attention to the fundamentals or any annalists.
If the trade is not working I just cut my loses and move on.

As for what the original question is, I would not put any money in one stock if you are not there to babysit it everyday. Because you will probably lose money in the long run. By a mutual fund and forget about it, you won't make a ton of money but you probably won't get hurt.
I'm wondering if this works in all markets, or just the current bull run of 6+ years...

Old 07-22-2017, 09:53 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson185 View Post
We have a mortgage (only debt), a nice savings account, both have IRA's and a mutual fund.
I want to take $3,000 or possibly $5,000 and invest in one stock. This would not put a huge dip in our savings and if we lost it, it would'nt be the end of the world.
The plan would be to buy low, sell high<>
What do you think?
As Jimmy Durante said, "Everybody wants to get into the act!"
Are your IRAs standard or Roth? How are they invested now? If you are hoping for big gains use the Roth plan and avoid taxes in the end.
I have a Roth that is not diversified and it has done splendidly. It was a suggestion from Motley Fool, backed up with personal experience with the company.
"Just lucky I guess"

Old 07-23-2017, 12:00 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
I'm wondering if this works in all markets, or just the current bull run of 6+ years...
Nothing works all the time. But over long periods of time, the stock market goes up. If you don't want to be 100% in stocks, you can always buy a balanced fund, which owns a mix of stocks and bonds. Bonds won't totally protect you from losses, but lose a lot less when the stock market crashes, and often will even go up in value when stocks are down. Any of these balanced funds would work well:

Vanguard Balanced Index
Vanguard Wellington
Dodge & Cox Balanced
Fidelity Balanced
Oakmark Equity & Income
Mairs & Power Balanced

There are other good balanced funds, but the above are all fine. I'd pick Vanguard Wellington as my #1 pick. Cheap expenses. Pretty stable (even for a balanced fund). Great long term performance.

Old 07-23-2017, 12:15 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,732,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Nothing works all the time. But over long periods of time, the stock market goes up.
The comment I spoke to was about ignoring technicals and fundamentals. I suspect that the reason this reckless approach hasn't burned him yet is the momentum of the market.

Let's see how ignoring the numbers works in a downturn.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:28 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
I am presently a bag holder of many long positions of companies with strong fundamentals like XOM.

However, performing margin trading on uranium, rare earth and other bubble plays, aka day trading, I have made close to 7000 bucks since Nov 1.

If only I had the balls, I'd have made 70K, but not yet
i have been trading in and out of gld ,tlt , a few etf's and oil with my fun money and made over 75k since january .. i have posted my trading statement here a few times as there were those who thought i was not disclosing my losses. 30 trades in gold in gld accounted for almost 27k.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:32 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,905,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i have been trading in and out of gld ,tlt , a few etf's and oil with my fun money and made over 75k since january .. i have posted my trading statement here a few times as there were those who thought i was not disclosing my losses. 30 trades in gold in gld accounted for almost 27k.
Thatta boy!

Old 07-23-2017, 09:16 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
This thread is almost 7 years old people.
It would be interesting to look back and see what all of the stocks were trading at then, versus now.
I see he had RIG (Transocean) on his list and it's trading for about 25% roughly, now, versus back in 2010. He also had BAC on his list and that was a winner.

Last edited by BeerGeek40; 07-23-2017 at 09:27 AM..

Old 07-23-2017, 09:17 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Trading individual stocks is my fun money too. But my retirement is doing well with minimum stock allocation, like maybe less than 25/75 AA.

I would ignore some posters sometime. They are like pond scum. They add nothing to the conversation, pretty petty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing