U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 08:04 AM

744 posts, read 1,923,310 times

Advertisements

We have a mortgage (only debt), a nice savings account, both have IRA's and a mutual fund.

I want to take $3,000 or possibly $5,000 and invest in one stock. This would not put a huge dip in our savings and if we lost it, it would'nt be the end of the world.

The plan would be to buy low, sell high and then take the initial investment and the dividends and reinvest in a couple more stocks, etc. Just start off with the initial amount and keep playing that amount. I've done research. I think that I seem to understand stocks, how they work, and the best way to make a profit...although I don't have a crystal ball. I would be using e trade.

My top picks (remember I am really a novice...I didn't know one thing about stocks 2 days ago). What do you think of these. I would be picking one.

1. BAC (bank of america). Waiting to see if it will dip to 7 after wikileaks. Not sure it is at bottom.
2. CHK (Chesapeake Energy corp)
3. Norvo Nordisk (shares are high at 104, but diabetes is projected to rise and so will this company. 1/2 of americans will be diabetic in 10 years. ) They make insulin.
4. Transocean ltd (RIG) shares are in 70's, saw a dip during the oil spil but expected to go back up to 150/share eventually. They have no competition.
5.Allergan INC. They make the lap band.
6. China adv. construction (CADC) They make the concrete for the rail system that China will be focusing on building in the next 15 years. The stock is low, but may go up. They are contracted by the chinese government.

What do you think?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 09:52 AM

433 posts, read 1,163,350 times
You are kidding right?

Personally, I would "play" with the stocks before using real money.

Wall Street Survivor

But, REALLY do your research if investing in stocks is what you are interested in doing.

The attached is just the tip of the iceberg.

How to Invest

I am sure others can help with sites that are great.

As for the stocks you put forth, WHY? You need to understand yourself and what risks you are capable of before investing.

Otherwise stick to no load low fee mutual funds.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:26 AM

186 posts, read 697,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qdogfball View Post
Otherwise stick to no load low fee mutual funds.
What are some good ones to look at?

Old 12-08-2010, 10:26 AM

744 posts, read 1,923,310 times
We have mutual funds that have been going for over 10 years. Of course we still are going forward with the mutual funds. We would have done much better by putting the money under our mattress. Like I said the $3,000...okay for risk because we could recover this in 2 months with salary. $3,000 is not one cent, but what I'm saying is it is okay if we did really bad with it. I will do one of those sites where you are not using real money for practice. That's a great idea.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:25 PM

433 posts, read 1,163,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeshpan View Post
What are some good ones to look at?
Others have said that :

T. Rowe Price Capital Appreciation (PRWCX) Fund Performance and Returns

is a good fund.

Vanguard has some that have $3,000 minimums.

VIMSX
VTSMX
NAESX

Old 12-08-2010, 01:25 PM

19,011 posts, read 27,684,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson185 View Post
We have a mortgage (only debt), a nice savings account, both have IRA's and a mutual fund.

I want to take $3,000 or possibly $5,000 and invest in one stock. This would not put a huge dip in our savings and if we lost it, it would'nt be the end of the world.

The plan would be to buy low, sell high and then take the initial investment and the dividends and reinvest in a couple more stocks, etc. Just start off with the initial amount and keep playing that amount. I've done research. I think that I seem to understand stocks, how they work, and the best way to make a profit...although I don't have a crystal ball. I would be using e trade.

My top picks (remember I am really a novice...I didn't know one thing about stocks 2 days ago). What do you think of these. I would be picking one.

1. BAC (bank of america). Waiting to see if it will dip to 7 after wikileaks. Not sure it is at bottom.
2. CHK (Chesapeake Energy corp)
3. Norvo Nordisk (shares are high at 104, but diabetes is projected to rise and so will this company. 1/2 of americans will be diabetic in 10 years. ) They make insulin.
4. Transocean ltd (RIG) shares are in 70's, saw a dip during the oil spil but expected to go back up to 150/share eventually. They have no competition.
5.Allergan INC. They make the lap band.
6. China adv. construction (CADC) They make the concrete for the rail system that China will be focusing on building in the next 15 years. The stock is low, but may go up. They are contracted by the chinese government.

What do you think?
I'd recommend something like SIRI where the stock tripling is guaran fricking teed.

Or, look at bruised tech giants like BRCD, AMD, NVDA.

Put it on Yahoo or Ford. These are safe plays.

I am avoiding chinese stocks for I read on article about how the shorts and the hedge fund managers love to short Chinese stocks exploiting the currency manipulation. Wanted to go long on LPH and NEP, but have held back and both have taken a beating since.

I'd call for diversification. Pick 2 tickers and invest in bulk. At least if one drags down a bit, the other can be encouraging.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:37 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,119,453 times
Don't kid yourself.

you're not "investing" in one stock, you're gambling. It's as simple as that. Even my friend's dad who ran a venture capital/PE firm said that going up to the plate just once & hitting a home run is plain stupid luck.

My advise is to choose a company in your field of expertise/employment. May be it's the one you work for, or a competitor. You know who the market leaders are and what products they have coming down the pipeline. Use your insider knowledge to your advantage. Otherwise you're just a lemming following the regurgitations of junior analysts who just got their MBA last yr.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:43 PM
JRR

6,089 posts, read 3,668,557 times
I'll go a bit against the popular sentiment here and say that as long as you understand the risks, why not? You said that if you lost it, it would not be the end of the world, so it doesn't sound like you are playing with the rent money. And while there are certainly no sure things in the market, the stocks on your list don't appear to be outlandishly risky & in danger of disappearing tomorrow. I will say that regarding Chinese stocks, there has been a lot of questions being raised about the bookkeeping on some of them. I would do extra care before buying that one.

You might check with your local library to see if they have Value Line available. They have been a pretty well respected name in stock research for a lot of years. Almost all libraries have it in print and many have it available to members online. I've used it for several years for stock ideas and have done very well with it.

And you don't necessarily have to be concerned with hitting a home run with your pick. Singles and doubles will run up the score; not just so dramatically.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:54 PM

28,461 posts, read 78,595,246 times
Default Might as well ne in the "travel and entertainment" thread...

....I mean seriously you can have some fun watching ONE stock bounce around, sometimes behaving as you'd hope , others not, in the same way that roulette ball bounces around a wheel or cards come out of the shoe for blackjack. If you take your $3k to Reno or Atlantic City or Vegas you would not call that investing, would you? Some folks do leave those towns with more in winnings than they come with, but not many...

Old 12-08-2010, 09:40 PM

19,011 posts, read 27,684,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
Don't kid yourself.

you're not "investing" in one stock, you're gambling. It's as simple as that. Even my friend's dad who ran a venture capital/PE firm said that going up to the plate just once & hitting a home run is plain stupid luck.

My advise is to choose a company in your field of expertise/employment. May be it's the one you work for, or a competitor. You know who the market leaders are and what products they have coming down the pipeline. Use your insider knowledge to your advantage. Otherwise you're just a lemming following the regurgitations of junior analysts who just got their MBA last yr.
Oh really? That's gross for a venture capitalist, actually. Did his business tank?

Explain exactly how the OP is wrong in his thoughts. He hasn't picked a ticker yet, he just put some tickers out.

What if I invested 5000 in some Uranium play? Some beaten bank? Media stock? We're just talking investing with the trend and setting an exit target.

Somewhere along the line Buffet put 50% of his money on GEICO. He even says pick a target, a good target and maximize as much as possible. If you looked across his strategy he does not pack a portfolio like a grocery store cart. Or Benjamin Graham. Pick a target and multiplying is key.

I'd go with Buffet any day, rather than some lame money guy who happens to be my Dad's friend

Don't fall in love with advisers, guys. Trust none but yourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing