Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 06:46 PM

14,466 posts, read 20,644,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
I called IRS and they said IRS owes me something so I should file 2008 and 2009.
Is your question hypothetical or did you actually lose $3000 and you are using H&R Block and you are in the 15% tax bracket?

Capital losses on Schedule D are there to offset your gains. If you have more gains than losses, you can use $3000 of the excess. That $3000 goes straight to your 1040 page one and is directly subtracted from earned income.

It you need to file an amended return for 2008 and 2009, maybe you need to take your documents to H&R and let them do it for you.

There may also be a time limit on amended returns.

Such as:

You’ve got three years from the due date of the tax return you are amending to file an amendment. After three years the government says thanks for the free tax dollars, and you can’t get your money back.

Time Limit on Filing Amended Tax Return
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 06:44 AM

98 posts, read 239,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
If you take a loss in 2010 of $3000 and it's not a "Wash Sale" and you have no gains to go against it, you can carry it forward each year until you do.

Lets say you have no gains this year but in 2 years from now you do. You can use any portion of your old loss each year until it is used up.

Silverfox
You don't wait to deduct it until you have a gain, but there's a limit of $3k/yr (I think).

Old 05-15-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muochoir View Post
You don't wait to deduct it until you have a gain, but there's a limit of $3k/yr (I think).
Investment losses are limited to $3000 a year and you can carry them forward forever (until the whole tax structure is changed and investment gains are no longer taxed -flat tax or sales tax, etc.)

If you have $12,000 in losses and you are basically no longer investing, you can claim $3000 in losses for 4 straight years.

In my previous comment I made an error.

Here is the correction:
Capital losses on Schedule D are there to offset your gains.
If you have more gains than losses,

>> If you have more gains than losses, should have read:
If you have more losses than gains

you can use $3000 of the excess. That $3000 goes straight to your 1040 page one and is directly subtracted from earned income.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:47 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,810,853 times
the order is short term capital losses go to offestting short term capital gains first. anything left goes goes into the pot for use against long term capital gains.

long term capital losses go against long term capital gains first, then against short term capital gains.

anything left over can be written 3k at a time against any income.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the order is short term capital losses go to offestting short term capital gains first. anything left goes goes into the pot for use against long term capital gains.

long term capital losses go against long term capital gains first, then against short term capital gains.

anything left over can be written 3k at a time against any income.
----------------------------------------------------

You are 100% correct.

Maybe the Op can reply to this:
"Is your question hypothetical, or did you actually lose $3000, and you are using H&R Block, and you are in the 15% tax bracket?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing